What is "unique" to your area?

I don't know it's particulary unique, but it's different than from where I grew up in TN. Here (TX) most of the backyards have a high wooden privacy fence. There is also a dirt road that runs between the backyards (where dumpsters are located). The postal workers also walk to deliver the mail instead of driving their vehicles and stopping at each house (they park at a corner on a block, deliver and then circle back around and drive another block), which I guess is probably becoming more normal in areas, but it wasn't in TN (no idea if it's changed or not). Mailboxes are also located right at the houses instead of at the end of the yard/driveway (except in a few neighborhoods around here). It's that way in a least two TX towns that I know of. I am curious if it's that way in other areas of TX.

So what is unique? Do you have a special food that's just from your area, or a school, or restaurant (we have The Big Texan), etc.,?

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 2:03 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Moose in my back yard. That's pretty unique

Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 4:15 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I'm in Texas too. Some of the newer neighborhoods here have paved back alleys, but most are still unpaved. Our mail carrier walks, our mailbox is on our house, and we do have privacy fencing around the back yard. I can't think of any super unique restaurants, but we do have Texas Tech.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:11 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Our mailman delivers the mail to each house on foot, we don't have mailboxes at the road either. (NE Ohio)

We have the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, three restaurants by Michael Symon, The Cleveland Browns, and the Cleveland Indians. Our downtown is very unique, it's been voted as one of the most architecturally interesting in the midwest. There are at least 20 bridges, including one that swivels.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:13 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• We have the glorious Colorado National Monument.

colorado National Monument Pictures, Images and Photos

We also have the World's Best Peaches!

Photobucket

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:19 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Here the mailman or in our case, mailwoman, has to deliver by truck as everyone has at least an acre of property, it would take her all day to do 20 houses, lol. We are surrounded by state land, we live in a valley surrounded by mountains in a smallish community. Lots of farms and u-pick apples, pumpkins, berries, etc, fresh farm eggs, local veggie stands, etc. within a mile or two of our home. Our town also has the largest ski area in the state. We have great wildlife too, bear, turkeys, deer, fox, coyote and amazing birds. Our town has an excellent school system too. We moved here 2 years ago and feel quite at home here. We are also only 1 mile from the NY State border and 1 hour from NYC and about 3 hours to our favorite beach down the shore. We are in NW NJ.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:21 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• We're practically neighbors! I'm in Lubbock.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:04 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I live just steps away from a secluded beach on the central CA coast. My neighborhood is filled with tall Redwood and Eucalyptus trees. It's a relaxing and beautiful place to live!

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:04 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Scuba: How are his restaurants? I love Michael Symon. I was cheering for him to win the Next Iron Chef America competition.

TweenandTwinMom: Oh yeah, the newer neighborhoods here are paved as well. What part of TX are you in? I'm in Amarillo.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 2:47 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Cool TweenAndTwinMom! I keep telling DH we need to spend a weekend in Lubbock sometime. :)
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 11:06 PM on Sep. 22, 2010