Do you REALLY support the troops?

My husband is active duty. Frequently, when someone learns this, he or she will say, "Tell him we support him and all the troops."

Now, I think that's nice, but what does it really mean? What does it mean to you?

SarahJean70

Asked by SarahJean70 at 12:45 PM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, I really support the troops. Being prior AD myself, I understand the things that families go through on a day to day basis. I know how hard life can be when your significant other has to leave for 6-12 months at a time, while the other stays home and tries to continue living life as close to normal as possible. Supporting the troops, means supporting the families of the troops, and keeping an eye out to make sure that everyone, either at home, or away, is being taken care of. In the end, the happiness of your sailor/soldier may mean the life of my sailor/soldier.
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 1:05 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• My hubby is also active duty Army I think when people say this it's their way of saying thank you for their service.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 1:07 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I hope so - I am one! So is my mom, several of my cousins and obviously friends. I have also have several members who are retired.
    alexisw

Answer by alexisw at 1:11 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• To me it means a continued acknowledment that the treatment soldiers received after Vietnam was wrong. Doing what your country asked of you does not mean you should be spat on, thrown out of stores, and treated like a child rapist by people who don't agree with the reasons the government sent you there.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:24 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Yes...I do support the troops...I Love the Troops...I have sent packages to the troops and many donations to the different organizations that support the troops I also am part of a volunteer group that helps the Blue Star Mothers and the Patriot Guard go and welcome home soldiers at their homes and also when the deploy....My flag and yellow ribbons have been flying non-stop since the war began and my support will continue until they all come home and always whether we are in war or not! Whenever I see a military person in uniform I go out of my way to than them for their service and sacrifice! FREEDOM ISN'T FREE...SUPPORT OUR US TROOPS!
    Anonymous

• oops...I meant to say that I go out of my way to "Thank" them for their service and sacrifice!
    Anonymous

• I support our troops fully. As you probably already know my dear friend. ;) My hubby is active duty also. I think supporting the troops means not only saying you support them, but showing them. For example, sending care packages to soldiers, or donating to groups that do. (In FL, the Starbucks near my parents house was sending coffee to the troops and you could write messages to them, I thought that was very cool, like I needed another reason to drink Starbucks and their country club was sending used golf clubs to them so they could have something to do during down time, which I thought was a unique idea). I also support political candidates who support our military and plan to take care of them. I am now in a military family, so it is very important to all of us, that our loved ones are well taken care of.
    cait030507

Answer by cait030507 at 2:26 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I support the troops. I have family in Iraq right now. I think people support the troops differently. This is how I support our military. I donate calling cards and care packages to be send over seas to our troops. I donate clothing, toys, furniture etc. to the veterans. (instead of goodwill and other organizations). My flag and yellow ribbons have been flying non-stop since the war began as well. my friend is a nurse practitioner at the VA hospital and when they have events I volunteer.

ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 3:00 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• 100 percent.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 4:06 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I think it means, they support all they are doing. They are giving them encouragement and letting them know that people care. That we thank them for all they do.

Letting them know that they know what they are doing isn't easy. Leaving behind family, friends, going somewhere dangerous....it's a huge sacrifice, and think they just want you to know they appreciate what the soldiers do.

I know I appreciate what the soldiers do!! My husband wanted to be in the military but they wouldn't take him due to some medical reasons.

My father and great uncle were in the National Guard when I was little, and I had a cousin in the Navy. I have a friend in the Air Force as well as numerous other friends in the National Guard, and the Marines. So we thank them every chance we get for doing what they do and helping to keep me and my family safe.

PoeDunkMae

Answer by PoeDunkMae at 4:21 PM on Oct. 19, 2008