Do the POOR in America get a Sub Par Education? *Spin off...

In most states, do poorer area schools have the same education and standards that wealthy schools have?

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 2:14 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• In most states the schools in the poorest areas have the most funding, and have better instructional programs. When we lived in Charlotte, NC I transferred my DD to the best school in the CO, which turned out to be the "Poorest" demographically speaking.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:17 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• nope, not with a tax based school system, obviously those areas with the highest tax base will have the most money for schools
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:18 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Not in Michigan.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:22 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• They are all about the same in my area.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 2:23 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Not in Ga.It's funded by The State Lottery and taxes. and we have the hope scholarship based on grades

http://www.gacollege411.org/Financial_Aid_Planning/HOPE_Program/Georgia_s_HOPE_Scholarship_Program_Overview.aspx

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:24 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• In CA- the schools in the wealthier neighborhoods employ the best teachers, have the latest and greatest equipment and structures and raise the most money via parental contributions. The local HS and campus where we use to live was referred to as UC of GB- as it rivaled the best college campuses in the state. Conversely, 1 inner city school taught all Algebra classes via a Tv and DVD- no instructor needed for those poor, mainly Southeast Asian students- A school is not a school.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:24 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I don't really think so. I do believe there are fewer people who want to teach in the inner cities for a myriad of reasons but I believe all of our kids actually get a sub par education since the whole system is broken. I believe in vouchers and performance pay for teachers. No tenure or making it harder to get. Unions don't help any. Our children would be better off if the unions were gone.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:24 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• teachers in Detroit actually get "hazard pay" for agreeing to work in the worst schools
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:25 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• In my state, there are grade discrepencies between richer and poorer area's

Not to mention we have less technology and sometimes NO TEXTBOOKS

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 2:26 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• HELL NO
    I grew up in the ghettos and our books were dated in the 60s. My husband grew up in a middle class neighborhood. When we discussed our schools at one time I was surprised of all the stuff he was taught compared to what I learned. My school never taught the WW1 or WW2 nor Korea or Vietnam. We learned about Civil but everything else was wars from the mid-evil times and that was it. As far as math was concerned they didn't teach anything above Geography. I had to drive over to another high school to go to Math1010(college math) and Algebra 2.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:29 PM on Sep. 20, 2010