question for crocheters/knitters!

what type of projects do you make using acrylic yarn?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 2:17 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Baby sweaters, stuffed animals...that's pretty much it! I'm not a big fan of acrylic yarn, only the baby stuff is pleasant to the touch, and I'd rather work in cotton or wool.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:25 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• the reason I asked is because I noticed how almost everything I see for sale is 100% cotton. I have a ton of acrylic yarn, some handed down, others bought at the store because they were less expensive. I know better for next time! Once I use up what I have it will be cotton!!!
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 2:34 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I like Caron Simply Soft for the large afghans I make. Cotton makes those too heavy although I do like working with. I can't work with wool without itching. Even merino makes my hands tingle.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:07 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Acrylic is soft and hard-wearing.... can stand up to a lot of abuse... also you can just throw it in the washer and dryer.
    It's perfect for baby / child clothes and toys..... the good acrylic is much much better than it used to be... i'd rather use it to knit than wool for my daughter, it's going to end up in mud and dog anyway lolol.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 3:49 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• There are some really nice acrylic yarns out there now.  My favorite is I Love This Yarn from Hobby Lobby (if you don't have a Hobby Lobby try ordering some and trying it out...it's super soft and comes in pretty colors).  Even the cheap-o Red Heart stuff is getting better.  I use that most for making afghans.  I use the nicer acryclic for baby sweaters and hats.  I usually can't afford anything nicer (like wool or cotton).

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:20 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• You can use your acrylic yarn for afghans and fingerless mitts also. acrylic is very hard on the hands to use in knitting and crocheting. the more natural yarns like, bamboo, alpaca, cotton, etc is really easier on the hands and is also organic.
    kbpegasus

Answer by kbpegasus at 6:40 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Afghans, some of the softer acrylic for baby blankets, kids clothes; hats, mits, scarfs, crochet flower pot covers, overflow pads for flower pots, washcloths, hair bands, children's purses: that's just what I've used it for. But it can be used anywhere as a good practical long lasting yarn.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 9:01 AM on Sep. 22, 2010