when did you switch to a booster from a convertible seat?

My son still has a while to go before he outgrows his convertible seat, plus he's only 2.5. But I'm just curious when you made the switch for your child?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 2:18 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• It depends on the weight of the child,u got a booklet with it,read it. It will help.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:20 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• At 4

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:20 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• When my child outgrew the height and/or weight. For me my son was rear facing until about 19 months and he got to tall for the tallest seat we could afford. He then was turned around in that seat. He outgrew that weight wise around 3 years and was put into a seat that has a 5 point harness and a belt positioning booster. He is now 5 years old and almost too tall for the 5 point harness in the newest seat, but will move to the belt positioning booster part of it then. His sister is 3 years old and just got turned forward facing a few months before she turned 3 due to height also. My kids are tall and skinny. I have seen too many things as an EMT to forward face my kids any earlier then I have to or take them out of the 5 point harness sooner then I need to. I see many kids my daughters age in belt positioning boosters though and all the kids my sons age are in them by now.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 2:52 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I switched my oldest son way too soon because I didn't know any better back then. My youngest is now 5 years old and in a five point harness. I have a Nautilus that harnesses up to 65 pounds, and he's only 45, so I think he'll be harnessed for quite some time to come.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:05 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• For both my girls I got a seat that would harness until 65 pounds. My oldest, who is 7 now, outgrew the height on that seat about a year ago (well before 65 pounds) and then I switched her to a highback booster. My 4-1/2 year old is still harnessed and will be for quite awhile. Harnesses are the most safe (which is why race car drivers wear them) so my goal is to keep them harnessed as long as possible.
    MamaDee2003

Answer by MamaDee2003 at 5:27 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• i put my daughter in a booster when she was almost 5
    stormy01

Answer by stormy01 at 7:19 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Technically your child should be 4'0''.
    qustnmrk28

Answer by qustnmrk28 at 7:24 PM on Sep. 20, 2010