Unemployment?

Ok, here is the story. I was employed with a company (which is rumored to be closing down here) and I was offered a package to leave. I took the package and because it was voluntary I understand that is why they rejected my unemployment. So I went out and got another job - nothing close to what I was making but they are now laying off. Does anyone know how long I have to be at this new job before I can collect unemployment and find another job?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:22 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

• Probably varies by state.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:24 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• 6 months but, every state is different. Call your local unemployment office to find out and also explain to them what has been happening.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:25 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• At least 6 months to a year!!! Check with your state.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:28 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Not sure, but I would be looking for a job now.. Your unemployment is only going to be a fraction of what you are making now..
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:30 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• When I asked unemployment in my state, New Jersey, the same question she told me very plainly, one day. I would call and ask. It's a big pain to get someone on the phone but they can answer your questions. I think you will be able to file but thats based on my knowledge of my states unemployment.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 2:31 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• You should be able to collect UI as long as you worked in the past 15 months and made enough to qualify.
    Good Luck!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:47 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• This all varies by state so you really need to call your local unemployment office. Also in our state what you get paid is based on the average of what you made over the last 18 months (a certain percentage of that is what you get from UE) so they would look at your previous job income too.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 2:48 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• it varies by case
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 6:27 AM on Sep. 22, 2010