How Many Activities Are Your Kids Allowed to Participate In?

My rule has been that they are allowed one at a time, and they have to finish what they start.

My DD10 was in band last year and hated it, but I was proud that she stuck it out. My DS13 is looking at tennis in the spring, he's joining Karate for the time being. They are always involved in school clubs, it's the extra curricular stuff I limit.

I have a friend whose DD9 is in cheerleading, ballet, gymnastics, and band - she thinks I'm mean because I won't allow my kids to do more than one thing. I think she's pushing her DD too hard. The girl is always at a class, and she is a "C" student. My kids are mostly straight "A's"

Scuba

Asked by Scuba at 2:25 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• my daughter is 11 and i let her to two activties at a time, as long as she can handle that and keep up with her school work.
    momandytai

Answer by momandytai at 4:59 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Grades wouldn't matter to me and I wouldn't make kids finish what they start. What does it matter what your grades were in third grade? There are legit reasons to quit things and I didn't make rules just to show I was the boss and could make rules. Activities were for having fun, getting fit, and getting out of the house.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:35 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• My DD does a lot of activities at one time and she's an A student also. I don't push she asks and if she likes it she keeps at it. Currently she's in soccer, karate and tap. She's dropping karate because she's decide to do soccer year round in a more competitive environment. Again her decision not mine. I just support her. I think kids need to be exposed to different activities until they find some they like and are great at.
    nngmommy83

Answer by nngmommy83 at 2:30 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• 2 each, more than that is too much for all of us.
    mepperly07

Answer by mepperly07 at 2:31 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• My 3 kids homeschooled and they could be in two sports and scouts. I was a grad student and we lived on campus in family housing so sometimes they could ride the campus bus or walk. The two older boys were in tennis and it was across the street. Everything was close. The youngest did the least but he had speech therapy twice a week.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:31 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• My oldest son is 16 and participates in Swing Choir, this years School Play (practices at night) Varsity Football (practices after school and weights in the morning before school), and Academic Decathalon (practice before school), All Star Baseball (practice on weekends and games) and fits in wrestling practice right now. He carries a 3.9 gpa

My younger son is in Football and Band. He gets B & C's but he also has some learning disabilities

I don't limit anything and I don't push anything - they do what they want when it comes to the extra's. There is no quitting, as long as their grades aren't slipping beneath their abilities they can do as many extra curricular activities they want. They enjoy being active, and have passion for what they do and feel good about themselves until that changes or their grades fall I won't make them choose.

blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:41 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• They are allowed one activity at a time. My rule is that you are a student first then an athlete.Not vice versa
    msbrewton

Answer by msbrewton at 1:47 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• she can be in 2 things at a time
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:16 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I don't limit it. 11 & 9 y/o are both in girl scouts, conservation club & volleyball. I am coaching their volleyball. 9 y/o is also on the gymnastics team.
    mommybug77

Answer by mommybug77 at 12:52 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• i think 2 or 3 is enuff
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:52 AM on Sep. 26, 2010