Something to do in chicago?

We are planning n being in Chicago in January..anyone have any recommendations of fun stuff to do? DD is 9..looking for musuems, shows, waterparks, sight seeing..pretty much opn to anything indoors since I'm sure it is freezing there in jan.

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 2:29 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Travel

• Navy Pier is always a great place to go.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:30 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Shedd's Aquarium is fantastic, it's right on Lake Michigan. The Natural History museum is really close to it, and has some pretty amazing exhibits.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:35 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• They have great museums! The auto show is huge, but I can't remember exactly when that runs. You have to eat at Gino's pizza!! It is freezing there in January, so don't forget your coats, hats and gloves. Have fun. ;)
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 2:59 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• It will be freezing in January so be prepared! Check out: Navy Pier, Art Institute, Field Museum, Museum of Science & Industry, Shedd Aquarium, Adler Planetarium, see the Bears, Blackhawks, or Bulls, take an architectural tour (land and/or water though not sure if they run in winter), visit The Magnificent Mile, and The Bean (outdoors). Buckingham Fountain will be shut down for the winter so maybe not that. See a broadway show (I think the website is broadwayinchicago.com) or visit Second City. Go to the Willis Tower (formerly Sears Tower) and stand on the see-through ledge (unless you're afraid of heights!). I believe parts of the Merchandise Mart are now open to the public - Luxe Home I believe is the name (typically you have to have a designer with you to see the showrooms but I think they've loosened things up a bit due to the economy). Check out the restaurants and the night life. Have fun, it's a great city!
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:38 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• FYI - The auto show is typically in early February.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:39 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• The Museums are all interesting and rather close together. There is Navy Pier, shopping on Michigan Ave and American Girl- also on Michigan Ave. You can take city tours. The transportation system within the city is fabulous. Lots of good restaurants too.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:39 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Museum of Science and Industry will be the most interesting for a child that age, along with the Planitarium and Shedd aquarium. They are all on the shores of beautiful lake Michigan. Navy Pier is closed in January, so don't waste your time there. Brookfield Zoo is open year round. If you love shopping, you have to go to Water Tower Place, and the best pizza is at Gino's EAST, within walking distance from Water Tower Place. The Sears, or Willis, Tower is a great way to sightsee from high above. I really miss living there!!
    Indyk

Answer by Indyk at 1:06 AM on Sep. 26, 2010