canning meat

My mother said that her mother--my grandma used to can meat, and never used a pressure cooker, do I really need a pressure cooker to can meat?

blue_glass_mama

Asked by blue_glass_mama at 2:33 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Food & Drink

• It's better. My SIL is the only member of the family who has a pressure canner and she cans meat for all the family who wants it (we provide our own meat, jars, etc, we pack our own jars, she just takes the time to babysit the canner & jars when they're done & cooling). MIL has canned all her life and doesn't dare use a water bath to can meat. I know plenty of other people who can meat and all use a pressure canner.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 3:07 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I wouldn't dare can meat without a pressure canner. Meat is a low acid food, and to can it safely and kill the bacteria it has to reach a temperature of 240° for a specified period of time. The only way to do that is to use a pressure canner since regular boiling water can only reach 212°.
    I've heard many stories of grandmas that canned everything without a pressure canner and they were just fine. I've also heard many stories of smokers that lived to a ripe old age. Neither practice is smart and both carry great risks. There is a whole world of new information on home canning. What was generally practiced 50 years ago is now not accepted as safe.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 5:56 PM on Sep. 20, 2010