Why do they make daycare prices so High!!!

I am a stay at home mom that would love to work. I have 2 children ages 4 and 18 months. We have food stamps and medicaid because we do better with me not working than with me working. For example my last job I worked a Bank of America making 500 a week working 40 hours. I had to put both kids in daycare for 300 a week that only left me 200 a week then when you add food, gas, and insurance for everyone I was paying to work I made no extra money at all. I think its crap that things have to be this way. I am going to have to wait until booth my kids are in school because I can not afford to put them both in daycare!!!! It takes almost a year to even get help from the gov for that too. I am sick of the foodstamps and medicaid they take forever to get done. I have not having insurance on myself and most off all I liked working and miss it! How many of you have the same problem?

cally101123

Asked by cally101123 at 2:33 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

• Personally our kids are not in daycare, but I would rather pay a higher price for it to ensure it is a quality place for my children to be raised then to pay a low price and get bad care for my children. You were paying $300 a week for 2 kids to be in daycare for probably about 45 hours a week each (travel time included). That means you were paying a measly $3.33 an hour per kid.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 2:39 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• They need to pay for staff and make money too. they also have bills to pay. Heat, electricity, food, snow removal if in that area. they has have insurance too.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 2:37 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I know. I do work, but most of my salary goes to daycare. I make a lot so it is still worthwhile for me, but it is ridiculous. I pay $250 per week for my son and $8 per hour for my daughter (part time).
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:35 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• It is so high because they are charged with caring for a human being. They are responsible for the health, welfare and safety of your child(ren) for 8-10 hours a day. The younger they are the more expensive it is because of the amount of work and staff required.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:39 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• that's why i dont work. we wouldnt qualify for any programs but we also wouldnt be able to pay our bills and buy food. i miss working but i figure being with my kids all day is not so bad. and i'm not sure i would trust a day care with them, i'v heard some real horror stories!
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:40 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• My kids' daycare charges what amounts to $20 per child per day. If all the classes at the center are filled to capacity the center is taking in just over $1,000 per day, but most of the time it is less because most of the time they aren't filled to capacity. So, they are bringing in less than $1,000 per day, and that pays for 8 salaries, electricity, food, insurance, etc. This means the people taking care of my children are probably making less than $100 per day. When I think about it like that I'm surprised they don't have to charge more.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:46 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I work 40+ hours a week and my hubby works 30+ hours a week, my hubby, DD and SS get state insurance and I have insurance though my job we also recieve FS but we also don't get housing and our bills monthly are $1100. So i take what i can gt and ever little helps.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:46 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Because they know it's a business you can't do with out if your a working Mother. Wish I had liked to watch kids more when I was younger, sure can rake in some bucks there. I really just liked watching my own kids for any length of time. I think you have to truly love kids to do that job, so it's probably worth what they get.,
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 5:42 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Personally, no one is worth even a $1 to me, I'm irreplaceable!!!!!!! I work at home.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 6:24 PM on Sep. 20, 2010