Can birth control make you get a false negative?

A friend of mine has been on the Depo shot most of the past 6 years, but lately she's convinced that she's pregnant, but all her tests have been negative. I didn't think that it could affect pregnancy tests, but to make sure I thought I would ask you ladies.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 2:41 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• No it does not but make sure to get a Blood HCG test if she is before she gets another shot.. I was on the shot with my son, he is a happy health 5 yr old now.. Best of luck.
    candcsmom2008

Answer by candcsmom2008 at 3:21 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• No, it does not. The hormones that are injected will not effect the outcome of a HPT.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 2:49 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I don't know about the hormones affecting it, but I had four false negative home tests with this pregnancy--tell her to go to a doctor :)
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 2:52 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• No it will not affect the pregnancy test. They test for Hcg whcih only rises during a pregnancy if she's so concerened or convinced you could go to a Dr and get a blood test.
    ainstalshia

Answer by ainstalshia at 2:53 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• No.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:54 PM on Sep. 20, 2010