In California does anyone know what the norm is for alimony and child support?

Shaneagle777

Asked by Shaneagle777 at 2:42 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Relationships

• Most child support is 1/3, no clue on alimony
    twinmama2009

Answer by twinmama2009 at 2:43 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Every situation is different. You are going to have to have it calculated by someone.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:54 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• well Im being offered a certain amount... and I need to know if it is in fact a generous amount ( our divorce is amicable)
    ok Ill post the amts

$1,000 for alimony
    $667.00 for child support
    Shaneagle777

Comment by Shaneagle777 (original poster) at 2:56 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Google California Child Support. It goes by his income and your ability to share in the financial responsibility.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:01 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I know one thing about spousal support (alimony) in California and that is it is a "no fault" state. That means that it makes no difference who ends the marriage, if one spouse makes more than the other, they can be ordered by the courts to pay an amount specified by the judge to the other spouse. Even if that spouse cheated and didn't want to be married anymore. And it lasts for 1/2 the duration of the marriage.

You don't say whether you worked during your marriage or stayed at home. If you stayed at home the whole time, his salary at the time of the separation is divided in half and that is what you will receive divided by 12 months. The duration depends on how long you were married.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 5:18 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• No I didnt work.... and we were married 23 yrs
    I talked to a friend she said the offer I am getting is very generous. So I pretty much got my answer I think. I doubt I will pass it by. Its a huge window for me and it would be wrong for me to say no thanks. Its a blessing !
    Shaneagle777

Comment by Shaneagle777 (original poster) at 5:25 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Also, your lawyer should be advising you on whether this amount is fair or not - not just your friend's opinion.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 11:59 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• kathy not always ... I felt that I was not to ask the lawyer but friends who have been through it. I must listen to what is within and I am sure the lawyer would say yes as they included the opposing lawyer's comment that it is a generous amount. I wanted outside thoughts as well. :-) Not just a lawyer's word. God's word is final for me :-)
    Shaneagle777

Comment by Shaneagle777 (original poster) at 12:04 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Thanks for the responses I got my answer and will make my decision today! Thanks :-)
    Shaneagle777

Comment by Shaneagle777 (original poster) at 12:06 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• The most important thing is that you think it is fair and it sounds like you do.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 8:04 PM on Sep. 21, 2010