How can I make milk more fatty??

The doctors are concern about my baby gain weight and was wondering how I can make my milk fattier.

Petrick

Asked by Petrick at 2:43 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First make sure they are using the WHO charts for breastfed babies and that he is staying within about plus or minus 10% of where he was born. For my son that meant anywhere between 0-20% was good for him because he was born at 10%. According to WIC he was underweight several times because he fell below 10%, but our doctor was never worried because that is where he was born. Second make sure you are eating healthy fats and the baby is getting enough of your hind milk. Check out www.kellymom.com to help with the hind milk/fore milk thing. Oh and since you mentioned he is eating a little table food now to try giving him some health fats like avocado. Good luck and as long as baby is happy and healthy and hitting milestones I wouldn't be too worried.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:02 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Is your baby malnourished? I think sometimes they get to involved in growth charts and don't take common sense into effect. Some babies, kids and adults are just smaller or larger. I think if your baby is healthy and doing well you should enjoy being a mom and not worry about it.
    mepperly07

Answer by mepperly07 at 2:46 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Those charts were created for FF babies, not BF babies. When they began charting growth it was to ensure that babies who were not getting proper nutrition (ie, formula) were growing properly.

Did you know that human milk has more fat than formula?

You should nurse more frequently- AND, expect a slowed progression in weight gain at this age, especially if he is becoming physically active/mobile. FF babies gain weight for as long as they are on formula, consistently gaining the entire time. BF babies tend to gain a lot in the first few months, and then taper off. Your milk changes every day, every feeding to ensure that your baby gets what it needs. The only thing you should be concerned about is if he is otherwise healthy, developmentally normal, and happy.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:53 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Just nurse more often. Chances are that they are gauging the baby based upon what a formula fed baby should weigh.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:44 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• give baby avocado too if he's eating solids - FULL of healthy fats. Make your own baby food, too, and you can mixx all sorts of fun things together.
    morethanme_you

Answer by morethanme_you at 2:50 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• eat HEALTHY fats - don't just stuff yourself full of junk. Eat avocado, REAL butter... cook with olive oil. That said, if your baby is following his/her OWN growth curve, don't worry about it. Charts are based off of formula fed babies.
    morethanme_you

Answer by morethanme_you at 2:49 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Human milk is the perfect balance of fat for human babies. There is no need to "fatten" up a baby who is healthy and meeting milestones. BF babies tend to be leaner than their FF peers. My girl is a lean, mean energy machine -- light framed like me, freakishly strong like her daddy. As others have said, the right chart is important!

We don't do baby food. Waste of time and money. baby led solids
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:43 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• And this here is the reason I posted the question I did this morning. And all the formula crazies were getting pissy. This is why the charts should be changed to show babies getting BM only and being fed the optimal diet under optimal conditions.

If your baby was charted on a BF chart, he would be considered fine. But, he is charted based of a FF chart and comes off as underweight.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:58 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• As long as baby is gaining, and has enough wet diapers, dont sweat it. If it makes you feel better check out a growth chart for breast fed babies, oh and read this:
    http://drjaygordon.com/pediatricks/newborns/scales.html
    It will make you feel sooooo much better.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:45 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• ha oops I thought you said HIS milk not YOUR oopsie! eat pasta!!! that's what they told my friend. Food high in starch and carbs
    luvsgriffin

Answer by luvsgriffin at 2:47 PM on Sep. 20, 2010