Would you send your child to a private, religion based school if you were were not part of that religion?

My husband went to a private Catholic school as a child, yet no one in his family is Catholic. The school was known for it's academics, therefore my MIL enrolled him there. Would you do this if you weren't part of the religion the school taught?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 2:55 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Religious Debate

• No, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:57 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• No, that would just feel wrong to me.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 2:57 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I wouldn't. Religion is a big part of the curriculum in those schools. I would find a private school without the religious bent if the schools in my area weren't good academically.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:58 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• No and I also would not send my son to a religious school for the religion we follow

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:58 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Nope. That's why mine are in public school.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:58 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• If I was against it I wouldn't it. I guess it would depend on my religion and the one of the school. I don't think I would consider Catholic for my kids though as they aren't raised like that. You should probably stick with what you know and how you are raising your family to be. Could cause conflict when the kids get older.
    luvmy4kidsinAL

Answer by luvmy4kidsinAL at 2:59 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• We do that. The schools in our area are bad. We send our kids to a well known, very good, catholic school. I feel bad sometimes. My daughter is in 2nd grade and this year is communion. That will be hard. It has worked out well for the most part.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:59 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I should add that I wouldn't feel right about doing that to the students/families who ARE a part of that religion. Feels disrespectful to me.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 2:59 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• i wouldn't have a problem if the focus of the school was EDUCATION and not religion. My mom sent my little sister to a Lutheran elementary school for 1st-3rd grade because it was a GOOD school and it was a small private school and my little sister was basically just being overlooked at public school. They had some religion based activites but most of it was pure education and not geared toward religion. we are Catholic btw :)
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 3:00 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Yes
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:02 PM on Sep. 20, 2010