How to change my son over to whole milk when its time

CrystalM7986

Asked by CrystalM7986 at 2:57 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just start giving a little at a time along side his normal formula or breastmilk. Really no different than water or juice
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:59 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I am surprised that your pediatrcian does not advise 2% milk. Whole milk has too much milkfat init. I changed my son over from formula to 2% milk all at once,when he turned 6 months of age.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:02 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Doctors never suggest a little at a time. That would really make for an upset tummy!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:03 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• if he gets a bottle add a little milk the same for 3 or 4 days to make sure he can handle it.
    Then increase it slowly till he is drinking only milk. That is the way I did for my children that are now adults and did not hurt them.
    SassyDee01963

Answer by SassyDee01963 at 3:03 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Oh dear! This will be a very interesting question..........

Are you currently feeding formula or breastmilk?
    In all honesty I would not feed milk at all.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 3:04 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Add 1/4 milk to 3/4 formula for a few days to make sure he can tolerate it, then go to 1/2 and 1/2 and 3/4 and 1/4 and then all the way to whole milk. Babies under 2 need the fat for brain development, switch to 2% when he turns 2.
    mommyof2grls06

Answer by mommyof2grls06 at 3:06 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Babies need 32 oz of foumula up to 12 mo. Then you can wean gradually or just stop formula. Formula was invented to keep babies alive until they could live on food alone. Children do not need to drink cow's milk. They only need 2 servings of milk products a day and they can get that from the foods they eat. People don't have to have milk at all and in much of the world people don't consume milk. Toddlers need to drink water.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:21 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• If you decide to give your child milk, when the time comes, I would just offer a few ounces in a sippy cup. Beware that a lot of kids dislike whole/cows milk. I'd suggest offering a few times, and if he keeps refusing, I might just toss it. Remember it is your choice, but no one NEEDS cows milk. Just in case he refuses it, know that you can just make sure he's eating a balanced diet, and give water as a beverage.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:31 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• First, a bf baby doesn't need any other milk until 1 yo at the earliest. Drs recomend 2% bc kids don't need the extra fat of whole milk. I guve my 1 1/2 yo whole milk, & she loves it. How you give your child reg milk depends on how they deal w/food. If no probs w/food, I'd offer yogurt befor milk, but when you do milk, water it the same as juice. Super easy!
    lilydoyle

Answer by lilydoyle at 10:43 PM on Sep. 20, 2010