Gramps is calling baby by a name

I live with my boyfriends parents as he is off at boot camp. They were gracious enough to let me stay and its been really nice. We found out we were pregnant before he left and we decided on a girls name before he left. Of course it was early in the pregnancy to know for sure if it was going to be the name we stuck with....So anyway...I recently found out I was having a girl, and now his dad (grandpa) keeps refering to the baby when he rubs my belly as Ady...(for Adaline which is NOT the name we had decided on when he left) I keep saying, no name yet, please dont say that its the name...things like that and it only makes me not want the name all that much more because it would be something like he would say "i named you" type situation....am I just being pregnant or am I in anyway right in wanting to decide this with my SO the father when he comes home???

Shani527

Asked by Shani527 at 3:23 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Baby Names

• I would feel the same way. The baby name should be left up to you and the baby's father.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 9:07 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• You said that you decided on a name - you chose it because you and your partner like it. If you've already decided on a name, what's the difference if he uses it? And if you weren't sure you were going to "stick with" that name, why share it? And why would his use of the name put you off of a name that you and your partner chose?
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 3:25 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• My dad called my son Gloria. I didn't find out the sex, so he just called my tummy Gloria. I'm like for real dad? Thats a horrendous name! But he did it anyways. He doesn't of course now that he is here.. And not name d Gloria.. haha
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 3:30 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• only people who participated in making of said baby have naming rights. considering the opinions of others is a courtesy but not a requirement.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 3:30 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• No, I completely understand where you're coming from. We made the mistake of sharing the name we had picked for our first DD, and EVERYONE started referring to her as that. Come to find out, a few months down the road, I couldn't stand hearing the name anymore! We ended up naming her something completely different when she was born, and we didn't breathe a peep of our name choice with our second DD until she was born. Also, if he's calling the baby a name you DIDN'T decide on, that would be almost more annoying. I would just do your best to ignore it. He'll find out soon enough what the baby's real name is going to be!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 3:30 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I would just the grandpa call the cooking baby whatever he wants. Tease him back and say that he will get all confused when the baby comes out and its name is not Addy. Just try to not det defensive about it and feel free to name the baby whatever you like when its born. In the meantime let grandpa have his fun..he doesnt know how annoying it is just laugh it off.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:31 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Umm, if you weren't sure about a girl name you shouldn't have told everyone that is was the one you had picked. I think Grampa is just excited and wants to respect your baby by calling her by a name (that he thought you had picked) instead of just calling her
    "baby" or "the baby" or (thank god) "it". It will be OK, but if it is a name you can't stand now that you are hearing it, better get on the stick about figuring out the right name so Grampa can adjust to the change. =)
    MilkingMomma

Answer by MilkingMomma at 3:28 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• So, are you naming it Bailey? Or are you waiting to make it a deffinate yes or no when the father gets home, or you talk to him, or what? I am kind of confused.... But anyways. I can understand that would be annoying though. My gramma actually said she didn't like the name of our second LOL Not that it mattered, and it has grown on her. After all, it's your baby. With our third, the name will be somewhat secret, since someone always has to be negative about it. Like I care if people like the name or not....after all, you are the one who will be calling your child that name countless times a day for the rest of their life.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:40 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I would ask him "why do you keep calling the baby Ady? Did that name belong to someone special? The reason I ask is because SO and I had discussed naming the baby Bailey not Ady." If he pushes the issue I would gently but firmly remind him that this is YOUR (and SO) baby, and while you appreciate his 'suggestion' it is up to you and SO to choose the name for your baby.

baby girl

MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:47 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• nono...did you not see where it says ..."which is NOT the name we choose". And I want to just make sure that my SO still loves the name we did choose, which is Bailey and its not like i can just pick up a phone and talk to him at this point....but I refer to the baking baby as Bailey. but grandpa is trying to push the name Adaline on me because its i dont know a great grandma or somethings name.
    Shani527

Comment by Shani527 (original poster) at 3:29 PM on Sep. 20, 2010