car seat

when did you turn your baby around in the car seat to face forward be honest

sashasmom159

Asked by sashasmom159 at 3:25 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When they were 12 months.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 3:26 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• i turned both of my kids around right after their 1st birthdays...had I known what I know now about rear facing I think I would have kept them rear facing until at least 2....Thankfully we were never in an accident and my 7 year old is still in a high back booster and my almost 4 year old will remained harnessed in her nautilus until she outgrows it by height or reaches 6-7 years old to be boostered.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 3:32 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• DD was a year old and 19 lbs. DS is 3 and 26 lbs and still rear facing. Obviously, during the time between my first and my second, I learned quite a bit.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:32 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• 1 year and 20 lbs is the legal limit but it is perfectly okay to keep your little one rear facing longer. I have hear that the AAP is now suggesting that young children be kept rear facing until at least 2 years old. There are many new seats on the market that enable you to keep them rear facing from upwards of 40 lbs. One I think allows up to 45 lbs.

The car set safety group on here has car seat techs and other knowledgeable moms that could make some really great suggestions if you are looking for new seats.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 3:34 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• 1 year.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:35 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• 1 year but my carseat does say 22 pounds to sit forward
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 3:38 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Back in 1996? 6 months, but, they only required them to be 20 lbs and I was clueless.

Now, 40lbs or the max rear facing of the seat.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:40 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• My son screamed every time we got in the car, barfed, would start choking on his barf, and I'd have to pull over and struggle to get him out of the seat to turn him around to get the barf out of his airway so he could breath again... so he was turned around at 10 months, 24 lbs. Sorry, but I'd rather risk an accident that may or may not injure them while they are still in a carseat than risk him choking to death on his barf every time I left the house. I had to use my mommy instincts to make the judgment call on that one.
    aacg12

Answer by aacg12 at 4:39 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• i was dumb and i switched my dd to ff at 12 mts luckuly i learn about erf and switched her back to rearfacing and then i switchd her back to ff at 3 1/2 yrs. now my ds is 19 mts and still rear facing and will be till 3 or 4
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:42 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Child bones are not like an adults because they are growing and thus are more flexible. Turning a young child around is extremely dangerous and likely fatal in a car crash. The new recommendations are MINIMUM 2 years, 30 lbs but for as long as possible to age 4 or 5 as long as the seat allows.

It's crash physics. Rear facing is safest for ALL of us, but particularly for children.
    Look as this video here. It will really open your eyes to why rear facing is so important. There are seats now that rear face to 35-40lbs before being turned forward. 1 year 20lbs is outdated, so please tell everyone you know that the law hasn't caught up with reality.

Here is another video. At time 0:50 is the crash test Watch it Carefully
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:03 PM on Sep. 20, 2010