Do i need to bring nursing bra's and pads if i am not breastfeeding?!

I know i will still get the milk whether I breastfeed or not so should i still bring and wear the nursing pads??? So confused!

Alyssa_mommy2b

Asked by Alyssa_mommy2b at 3:30 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Why are you planning not to nurse?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:31 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• To the hospital? If you don't nurse you will need pads for a while. Why decide now? Wait until you have the baby. Your milk is going to come in. If you don't nurse and let it out it will be extremely painful.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:32 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Nursing pads, yes. You will probably be leaking for quite some time. You don't need nursing bras, per se, but you will probably want a bra in a slightly bigger size to account for engorgement until your milk goes away.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 3:33 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• i breastfed and never used ANY pads
    just never dripped, except first thing in am when just waking up
    each women's boobs are different
    have some along in case you need, you may not need, to do not buy a ton

do not worry about being confused, having a child is a whole new thing
    when in hospital, nurses asked if i was going to breatfeed, i say i was going to try, they looked at me weird
    ** like how was I to know, not like you can compare to anything else you have ever done**
    it worked fine for me and my daughter (7 months breastfed, ) but not for everyone
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 3:33 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Yes because your milk will still come in and you could leak. Sorry I know the Dr. can give you some pills to stop the milk supply but not sure how it works as I breastfed all my kids even the twins.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 3:34 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• No on the nursing bra,
    Yes on the pads until your milk stops :)
    Trust me lol.
    SimplyMadness

Answer by SimplyMadness at 3:34 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Sports bras are a good choice and you may need pads.

Even if you aren't going to breastfeed you can nurse at the hospital or the first week and give the baby the colostrum. It is called liquid gold. Any breastfeeding gives the baby benefits. Better for you, better for baby. If you don't want to breastfeed you can pump it and bottle feed it to your baby. You don't need a fancy pump and you can even hand express.  It will relieve the pressure on your breasts more naturally. Who knows your baby may nurse like a champ and you may actually like it.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:35 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• i would. i know even when i was done breastfeeding, i leaked, and those nursing bras were comfortable. and you don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get a bigger size bra, just for you to go back down again. (well, some women do go back to their original size, some don't) and it may not even hurt! mine didn't hurt when i stopped, sure i leaked alot but i didn't feel a thing. just wear something tight for a couple days and that helps you dry up quicker. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:37 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I nurse and don't even use nursing pads. i like sport bras. but that is beside the point. No if you are not nursing yo udo not need them. Yes you need pads. You will still leak till the milk drys up.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 3:38 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• no need for nursing bras, but some pads yes....i didnt breastfeed my first two but I didnt need pads right way. I got them after I got home. just know it will be painful but tight sports bras and ice packs are real life savers...it will be a couple days of pain....ohh and a trick i learned was to fill a newborn size diaper up with water and freeze that, because it makes a nice cup ice pack, regular ice packs freeze flat and with a newborn size diaper it forms around your breast very nicely.
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 3:41 PM on Sep. 20, 2010