Ideas on "teaching" a baby to sleep without a bottle....

My youngest is soon to be 1. My oldest is freshly 2. My problem with the older is the bottle. He still takes a 4oz bottle of water to nap and bed. We tried on 2 ocassions, one being very recent to take the bottle and use a cup. When he physically almost harmed himself by throwing himself off my bed in the middle of the night in a tantrum (the 3rd night) I said forget this and caved. Now I don't want it to be such a soothing crutch for the baby. I only give him a bottle in his room before sleep and lay him down while he is still awake. I am also not going to give the bottle to him while he is laying in there as we did with the first. What are some things some of you ladies did when the bottle was taken, or how did your baby "learn" to go to sleep once it was time for the bottle to be done. I hope this all made sense! Thanks!!

2BlondeBabies

Asked by 2BlondeBabies at 3:33 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• I never put DD to bed with a bottle. so here's a bump!
    Sarah5708Emma

Answer by Sarah5708Emma at 3:39 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Never put my son to bed with bottle or sippy. At 2 years...You might have to go cold turkey. There will be fits, crying,etc. GOod luck!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:23 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• We didn't do it with our first. I went into the hospital for a month until I delivered, right when the first was a year. My hubby is military. So anyways, for 2 of those weeks at the end our great friends literally took our son in. They gave him his bottle of milk. This was better than rocking him as I was doing. So I though AWESOME.....but a year later, not so awesome LOL The kid loves to suck that damn nipple, even when it's empty. It's like his pacifier or his thumb I guess. But with my hubby gone and it just me and them, I gave in. Sleep is important LOL
    2BlondeBabies

Comment by 2BlondeBabies (original poster) at 3:43 PM on Sep. 20, 2010