What age do you think is a good age to start ur daughter on birth control??

I'm thinking of this now because I just read a recent question with a mom and had all the "talks" and supervision and came to find out her 14 yr old is pg anyways and Tyra has a show on today with 12 yr olds trying to get pregnant!! I beleieve in putting my daughter on birth control "just in case" b/c let's face it...kids don't always listen or think it can happen to them...so I was wondering what other moms think is a good age or at what age did their daughter's start bc??

kstn415

Asked by kstn415 at 3:34 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I have always wonder this. Idk I will ask her and talk to her.
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 3:35 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• each daughter is going to be different
    each mom will think different
    do what you think is best for your daughter

has she talked to you about being sexually active? do you think she is and not saying?
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 3:36 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• i'll be teaching "abstinence" but, lets face it.... i got pregnant at 19 years old (i actually didn't have sex until i was 19....) i'm going to be absolutely honest with my daughters, and make sure they know that i will always be there for her. if my girls ask to be put on it, we will go over the pro's and con's together, and if they decide that they want to be on bc, then i will take them to get it. not an age thing, to me.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 3:38 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• If you think she is sexually active I say do it
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 3:38 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I will as soon as my daughter gets her period regardless of whether or not I think she is sexually active.

I can remember that age and being recless in spite of the consequenses.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 3:40 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I assume you mean the pill. There are lots of forms of birth control. Your daughter should be in charge of her own birth control. The pill is not without dangers. I got pulmonay emboli (blood clots) in my lungs on the pill. It didn't really hurt but if you don't go to the ER even 1 small emboli can kill you. You don't want to put a 12 yo on a drug that kills women if she isn't even sexually active. She should know a condom and foam is over 99% effective. She should know where to buy them and how to use them. She should understand sex is never an emergency and it can always wait until after you have birth control.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:41 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I went on the pill when I was 17. I went to Planned Parenthood and my parents didn't know about it. If I'd had a better, more open relationship with my parents, I would have asked them to let me go on the pill when I was 15.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:43 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• you need to talk to her. A daughte / mother should always have a close relationship. especially starting at that age. If you just gave it to her and told her to take it. at that point with talking before hand you would have that chance of loosing your daughter's trust!
    Mrs.Ro

Answer by Mrs.Ro at 3:44 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I don't think there is a perfect age, but I also am realistic to know that kisd lie. I had the best most understanding Mom, and I still lied about lots of things. I know everyone says too "foster trust" but kids lie. When I think she is sexually active I will take her.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 3:44 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• She is only nine years old and I think very sheltered for a nine yr old so I hope to keep that as long as possible lol and I try to talk to her as much as possible about anything so she knows she can talk to me about anything but we have not had the sex talk yet....only b/c I don't think she is at that stage yet and hasn't been curious about any of that stuff yet, hasn't talked about anything like that...I do control all media/internet/music/etc and friends so I think that is why. But, I do plan on having it soon or if she starts asking questions...i was just wondering what other moms thought and maybe their own experiences. I also got pg at 18 b/c of the stupiid mindset of it can't happen to me lol even at that age.
    kstn415

Comment by kstn415 (original poster) at 3:47 PM on Sep. 20, 2010