Are Teachers in this school using the children as a Pawn to get their union agenda passed?

Approximately 150 parents showed up to meet the teachers. Instead, they were given a speech by the school’s principal.

The parents then had the opportunity to visit their kid’s classrooms. When they got to the classroom, they were given a piece of paper that briefly explained what their kids would be learning this year.

One mother got so fed up, she left the letter behind. She told Claudia, “I came to Back to School night to meet my daughter’s teachers. It’s a shame you could not extend to me the same respect. Parental involvement requires teacher involvement.”

Neshaminy School Board President Ritchie Webb added, "They're bringing the children in as a pawn into an adult negotiating game, unfortunately."

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 3:48 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Are you serious? As a restaurant manager I regularly worked seventy hour weeks, made presentations on my "home" time, and spent hours of my days off answering telephones, coordinating repairs, and occasionally, running in to work to unbury the Kitchen when they were understaffed.

I know of HUNDREDS of jobs that people do the same things. These teachers are self important assholes. It's not like they aren't getting a pay check. You do the job to the best of your ability, or you get a different job.

You don't screw the kids over as quickly as possible because you don't like the terms of your new contract. Hell, we didn't like it last year when dh was told no raises or bonuses because of the recession, (that was evidently over) but dh put his head down and did his job.

And got a double raise this year. The company made it right.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:56 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• If the teachers could not be bothered with showing up for "Meet The Teacher Night" then I would have been at the classroon the next morning taking up class time from the kids to meet the teacher and find out what was going on. Furthermore, if he/she would not take the time to meet with my husband and myself my child would not be attending class until this was accomplished. Another example of Unions screwing up the world.

emerald53197

Answer by emerald53197 at 3:55 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Wow, what a crock o'crap! IMO things like "Meet the Teacher" sports, plays, activities and writing recommendations are PART OF THE JOB!

Unions are a big problem here. The district is in a huge money crunch and the "union" refuses any cuts to pay/benefits. They have had to fire teachers, cut days from the school year and end almost all the extracurricular activities. This year we are just barely meeting the state requirement for attendance. There are 42 kids in my 6th graders class. There is no parapro.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:10 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Teachers in the district are currently "working to contract" in their third school year without a new employment deal.

The teachers' union does not want to pay for health benefits. The school board says it does not have the money to pay for such benefits. Both sides are still far apart

Huh.  And some people think that unions aren't helpful.  I guess it all depends on who it's supposed to help.  The more I read the more I understand that the union is more important that our children's education.  Pathetic in so many ways.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:00 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Girl I am pissed today because for the SECOND time my girls were sent home with forms that if I DONT fill them out they will give my children demerits! WTH? I know its not the union but STOP using our CHILDREN as pawns in your politics school system!!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 4:56 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• That is beyond ridiculous. As a former teacher, such activities as Back to School Night were part of the Contract and were considered required working time. Of course this was in a southern state where there aren't any teachers' unions.

May-20

Answer by May-20 at 5:08 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• How the hell does that show I dont care?? please DO tell?? I will fill out the paperwork WITHOUT threats to my CHILDREN thank you very much!! Its WRONG for ANYONE ANYWHERE to use CHILDREN as pawns in their power trip dear!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 7:24 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• OOOHHHH lookie, that's what the down vote option is for! I was wondering!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:35 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• A a teacher, I completely disagree with the "teach to contract" concept THOSE are the teachers who should NOT be teachers. If they had to work in the PRIVATE sector (as I did for 18 years prior to becoming a SAHM for 8 and now teacher for 2 years), and didn't have a union to fight their battles, they wouldn't have lasted a month!!!

I saw this quote years ago, long before deciding to become a teacher, and unfortunately I feel it IS how many teachers feel!

"When schoolchildren start paying dues, that's when I'll start representing the interests of schoolchildren."

~Albert Shanker

Former President of the American Federation of Teachers

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:25 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Could be that the teachers are in a "work to contract" phase of negotiation. That means they only work during the school day. NOTHING extra is done. Happened at my son's elementary school when he was in Kindergarten. In Wisconsin, a teacher cannot strike so instead they work to contract. That meant no sports, no plays, no extras. Teachers were not even writing letters of recommendations for the high school seniors for college. It shows just how much teachers do that they do NOT get paid for, how much extra time they put in.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:02 PM on Sep. 20, 2010