Why did you CHOOSE to formula feed? Not for those that could not breastfeed. Those that chose formula over breast even before the baby was born.

This is not a bashing post, so please don't turn it into one.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:52 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• I chose to supplement this time around. My classes were starting up just a few days after my baby was born, so I knew he was going to be heading straight for the bottle. I don't have the luxury of sitting this term out since about half of our monthly income is from my GI Bill that I get for going to school. With my husband unable to work because of disabilities, it puts a lot on me. So I pump when I can, and he eats that, and gets some formula on the side.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 4:00 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Thats the way NOT to turn it into a bash fest- compare women who fed their children in the best way possible to nazis...
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:58 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Im not comfortable with the idea..To be honest I didnt even know people breastfed still till I had come to join cafemom. Its something I was never exposed to and the thought of having a babe sucking on my nipple didnt make me feel comfortable. (maybe having to do with my sexual abuse as a child)And my biggest thing is thinking that if babe can pick up on my anxiety then the babe wouldnt be comfortable anyway either and it would just be a disaster.
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 4:10 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I CHOSE formula feeding because that is what I wanted to do. I was not comfortable with the breast feeding.

BTW--This post WILL turn into a bash fest by the breast feeding nazis...be prepared.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:56 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I made the choose to forumla feed my DD because before, while and after i was on med that i had to take and for no reason could i stop taking that I was unable to BF my DD. I wish that it could have been different but it wasn't and she is as healthy as could be and in the 2 1/2 yrs of her life she has the stomach flu once and had 3 colds her whole life. She also was born with acid reflux but that has nothing to do with not being forumla feed or BF.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 4:00 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• i could not breast feed my kids...my boobs did not give out much milk... =(
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 4:07 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I breast feed 2 and FF 2. I didn't breastfeed the other 2 because they had to stay in the NICU for awhile.
    gulfcoastmom4

Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 4:09 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• My breast milk didn't come in till about 5 days after my son was born, so he was on formula...we tried to switch him over, but it upset his stomach, so we decided just to feed formula, and he's almost 2 and healthy as a horse
    BradensMom1026

Answer by BradensMom1026 at 4:13 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I chose to formula feed all 5 of my kids because it's what I wanted to do.  Breastfeeding just didn't interest me and the couple of times I tried it made me so stressed out and depressed that I hated every single moment of it.  I like the fact that my husband and kids can help feed the baby.  I do most of the feedings but my husband does them when he's at home and the kids like to take a turn once in awhile.  It gives me a chance to get things done while he's hungry (he seems to always want to eat when I'm trying to cook dinner...that's when one of the older kids feed him).  Formula feeding just works out better for our family. 

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:27 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I felt wierd about the idea of breastfeeding when I had my first -I was shocked to learn I was pregnant and wasn't really ready for all that- I just could not even imagine doing it, so I didn't even try
    when I had my son- I figured we'd do it since it would be much cheaper and I didn't with the first, but after no success in the hospital and no luck the next couple of days at home, I gave up and we bottle fed him too
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:40 PM on Sep. 20, 2010