Please someone answer. I'm very confused: tax paper question

So the tax form where the lines are asking to put "1" or "0" if your single or married and working, if you have a dependent put "1" and stuff like that. At line "H" you have to write your total for all lines. How do I do this?? I am not claiming my dd, my SO is because he is head of household and we will receive more money if he did it that way. So do I just put one to claim myself and that's it? Is the higher the total number you put on line "H" mean that you pay less taxes each pay check therefore you end up oweing or is it you pay more taxes? My SO old me I should just put "0" for the total number but I'm confused.

ProudMammaMia

Asked by ProudMammaMia at 4:23 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

• If you are not filing together, you will file with just 1, as you are your own dependent.
    the higher the number, the LESS taxes you pay out of each check. You might end up paying at the end of the year or you might not.

If you want the most taxes taken out, put 0
    if you want the least taken out, put 1.

Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 4:28 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• If you aren't claiming your child, then you need to put 0 for dependents. You might have to pay in if you claim a dependent on your pay checks.. So I would change it to 0 dependents on your pay checks if you are claiming her.. That way they take out more taxes so you don't have to pay back anything.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 4:28 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Is he claiming you as a dependent, or just your daughter? Are you claiming married or single? If he can claim you as a dependent or either of you is claiming married, put 0.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 4:31 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• He is not claiming me, but he is claiming our dd. So I don't put one for myself? We r not married so I am "single".Should I just put a total of "0" at the "h" line?
    ProudMammaMia

Comment by ProudMammaMia (original poster) at 5:16 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• When I got married and had my baby -- all within a short time -- I asked my payroll department because I was confused by some of the wording on the form. They said basicly how many dependents you claim doesn't matter. You'll pay the taxes regardless. It's all a matter of do you want more taxes taken out now or more taxes taken out every April.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 6:49 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• yeah u just claim yourself. i think the more dep. you claim the less taxex you pay but you get less back @ the end of yr. im guessing the laws change so much.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 5:58 AM on Sep. 22, 2010