Would this annoy you too?

Okay... when my daughter was very little my husband and I fell on some hard times and our family really came through for us. My sister in law gave us clothes several times a year that her daughter had outgrown or that she bought at some rich lady's yard sale. This kept our dd fully clothed all that time and in NICE stuff no less. I had so much stuff that my dd couldn't wear them all before growing out of them. So, they still looked like new.

This is where the me being peeved part comes in. Now that we are doing better, I gave the clothes to a friend who was "in need" and she friggin sold them! I have another friend who is now struggling severely who could really use them, and I can't help the one who really needs it. It's just that she acted like she NEEDED them and then used them to make money which will probably go for something stupid like cigarettes. And I can't say anything because I did GIVE them to her, but ugh!

ErinHill226

Asked by ErinHill226 at 4:27 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Relationships

• Yes it would annoy me but I also would realize that I gave them away with the understanding that they would do with them as they pleased.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:29 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Yea that is kind of crappy, I guess next time you will know for the future.
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 4:30 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• OMG! Yes that would truly tick me off! I def wouldn't give her anything else!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:30 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I'm so sorry this happened. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do about it now. Once something is given it is no longer in our control. I totally understand.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:31 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Yes, it would annoy me!!
    elizabr

• I would not like it but think maybe she felt embarrassed to ask for money so felt it was ok to sell the clothes.

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:32 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Unless you told her you wanted them back, she probably considered them to be a gift to do with as she pleased. I would not be annoyed unless I told her I wanted them back.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 4:33 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I would say something to her. I seriously would say "You know, that really bothered me that you sold the clothes. I gave them to you so you could clothe your children, not hawk them. In the future if I give you something you don't need, could you please just give them back to me so I can give them to someone else who needs them?" Maybe even mention how you would have liked money from selling the clothes too, but you thought you'd be nice and help her out instead.
    aacg12

Answer by aacg12 at 4:35 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• You gave them away, she can do anything she wants with them.
    gulfcoastmom4

Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 4:43 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I didn't say I wanted them back per say, but I did say that if there was anything that she didn't NEED or couldn't use for her daughter, that I would take them back and donate them elsewhere so they could get some use. She said "Oh yeah, I can use all of it! Saves me from having to buy the stuff." And then sold the pricey items. Grrrr.
    ErinHill226

Comment by ErinHill226 (original poster) at 4:45 PM on Sep. 20, 2010