How can I go back to school when I owe $27,000 in student loans and $2000 to the school itself?

Do I keep working (min wage job) to pay off the debts and then try to go back or is there a program where my loans would be put on hold while I go back and finish? Also, I won't be able to pay for school, how can I do that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:37 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

• If they are Stafford Loans you don't have to pay them while you are going to school. If you have been making academic progress and are going to a cheap state community college or university you should be able to get a large enough Pell Grant (don't have to pay back) to pay for your tuition, books, and have money left over. You could get more loans but that doesn't sound like a good idea. When you go back to school go for something that you can get a job when you are done that makes lots of money$$$

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:46 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Depends... Did you use federal funds to go to school the first time? If you have defaulted on federal student loans, then you will not be able to receive anymore government funded grants/loans.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 4:50 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:48 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:50 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• My lender is sallie mae
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:50 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I guess that was federal :(
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:51 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• They still may be federally funded. I would contact a financial aid counselor at a college and ask what is available to you. If you have defaulted on the loans already, then it would not be a good idea to try to get more assistance to go back to school until you have caught up on your loans.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 4:53 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• It's hopeless for me :((

I should have never left school, I had less than 2 semesters left. But that was 4 years ago so I would I have to start over.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:05 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• if you think it so than thats what it is, if you think you can, yes you can. Its not hopeless unless you make it.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 6:04 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• The best place to ask would be the admissions office at the school you want to go to.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 6:46 PM on Sep. 20, 2010