Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Toddler eats Styrofoam.

I went to the bathroom, came out and DS(26months) got into some boxes in the hall that I am packing in the closet. He opened one up and took a huge bite out of the styrofoam! I can't find it and he has small white dots all over his mouth and tongue. I'm assuming he swallowed some. His airway is clear and he is breathing normally.

Is this going to cause a tummy ache or really nasty diaper later today? Or will it just pass?

Answer Question
 
NicholasMama608

Asked by NicholasMama608 at 4:38 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 5 (71 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • Call poision control.

    Gailll

    Answer by Gailll at 4:42 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

  • Styrofoam isn't poisioness. I thought you only called them if they ingested something that IS or MIGHT be poisioness.
    NicholasMama608

    Comment by NicholasMama608 (original poster) at 4:47 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

  • If it was just a bite he's probably fine. He probably had a hard time chewing/swallowing it and didn't ingest it all anyway. Call poison control anyway just to be on the safe side because it isn't non-toxic but don't freak out too much.
    jessicarae787

    Answer by jessicarae787 at 4:49 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

  • It isn't poisionous but it does contain chemicals not meant to be ingested which is why you are never supposed to heat up food in a styrofoam container.
    jessicarae787

    Answer by jessicarae787 at 4:50 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

  • poison control will give you advice. that's what they are there for.
    elizabr

    Answer by elizabr at 7:11 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN