Toddler eats Styrofoam.

I went to the bathroom, came out and DS(26months) got into some boxes in the hall that I am packing in the closet. He opened one up and took a huge bite out of the styrofoam! I can't find it and he has small white dots all over his mouth and tongue. I'm assuming he swallowed some. His airway is clear and he is breathing normally.

Is this going to cause a tummy ache or really nasty diaper later today? Or will it just pass?

NicholasMama608

Asked by NicholasMama608 at 4:38 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Call poision control.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:42 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Styrofoam isn't poisioness. I thought you only called them if they ingested something that IS or MIGHT be poisioness.
    NicholasMama608

Comment by NicholasMama608 (original poster) at 4:47 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• If it was just a bite he's probably fine. He probably had a hard time chewing/swallowing it and didn't ingest it all anyway. Call poison control anyway just to be on the safe side because it isn't non-toxic but don't freak out too much.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 4:49 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• It isn't poisionous but it does contain chemicals not meant to be ingested which is why you are never supposed to heat up food in a styrofoam container.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 4:50 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• poison control will give you advice. that's what they are there for.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:11 PM on Sep. 20, 2010