I don't know where to put this Q.

My daughter is pregnant and not married to the baby's dad. Her OB, and the hospital as well, told her that the baby would have to take her last name. I know I've heard other babies with the dad's last name. Is this something new or what's the deal? We're in Texas.

zachsmom900

Asked by zachsmom900 at 1:59 PM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Just for Fun

• The dad just has to sign a paper saying he's the father I think. My SIL did it and she lives in TX.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 2:05 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Yeah, he just has to sign and agree. Thats in any state. It's what we are doing, and i know people in texas ( from my family) that have done that as well.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 2:12 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Yep, the father will have to sign an affidavit stating that he IS the father in order for the child to have the fathers last name.. I believe that is in any state.. The father will have to do this in the hospital when the child is born..
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 2:17 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• The hospital doesn't want the legal liabilities of naming a father, just because mother says so. He would sign a paternity paper, with a witness or notary.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:25 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• The baby shouldn't have to take her last name. They only do that on the babies bracelet and bassinet so that they give the baby to the right mother. When it comes to naming your baby, you should be able to name them anything you want to. So when they come in with the birth certificate stuff, just have her put whatwever name on there she wants to.
    SLGross215

Answer by SLGross215 at 8:21 PM on Oct. 19, 2008