Is this yet another epublican for Obama?

WASHINGTON – Colin Powell, a Republican who was President Bush's first secretary of state, endorsed Democrat Barack Obama for president Sunday and criticized the tone of Republican John McCain's campaign.

The former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said either candidate, both of them senators, is qualified to be commander in chief. But he said Obama is better suited to handle the nation's economic problems as well as help improve its standing in the world.

"It isn't easy for me to disappoint Sen. McCain in the way that I have this morning, and I regret that," Powell, interviewed on NBC's "Meet the Press," said of his longtime friend, the Arizona senator.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:35 PM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Oh man. I missed the endorsemnet. I though he was going to stay neutral. But I guess he feels strongly about Obama being the best candidate and what this ocuntry needs. I'm glad he endorsed Obama because he is one of the few republicans I love and admire.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 2:42 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• But, he added: "I think we need a transformational figure. I think we need a president who is a generational change and that's why I'm supporting Barack Obama, not out of any lack of respect or admiration for Sen. John McCain."

Powell's endorsement has been much anticipated because he is a Republican with impressive foreign policy credentials, a subject on which Obama, a first-term senator from Illinois, is weak. Powell is a Republican centrist who is popular among moderate voters.

At the same time, Powell is a black man and Obama would be the nation's first black president. Powell said he was cognizant of the racial aspect of his endorsement, but said that was not the dominant factor in his decision. If it was, he said, he would have made the endorsement months ago.

Anonymous

• Powell expressed disappointment in the negative tone of McCain's campaign, his choice of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as a running mate and McCain's and Palin's decision to focus in the closing weeks of the contest on Obama's ties to 1960s-era radical William Ayers. A co-founder of the Weather Underground, which claimed responsibility for nonfatal bombings during the Vietnam War-era, Ayers is now a college professor who lives in Obama's Chicago neighborhood. He and Obama also served together on civic boards in Chicago.

Anonymous

• ****Republican
    Anonymous

• Shocker...a black man supporting another black man. Sorry but this is the most racist BS yet. And anyone who could possibly support BO is not a Republican. BO goes against every thing a true Republican stands for. A Republican could never support BO's socialist agenda. All Powell did was expose himself as a fake and racist.
    Anonymous

• your post is really racist. just assume why Powell support Obama. Watch the video listen to what he said. He is not the only republican supporting Obama. some are even white
    Anonymous

• that's like saying that mccain supporters only support him because he iwswhite.
    Anonymous

• Name one white liberal that Powell has supported or endorsed...
    Anonymous

• wow, the anon. post at 2:44, is really surprising...NOT, ummm....I really don't think Colin P. is a racist. You shouldn't hate that he is choosing the best man for the job. Obama far exceeds anything that Mccain can bring to the today. Regardless of who wins, Obama is the most intelligent candidate who is touch with the American people. Obama is the first person, I feel, to speak on behalf of the average american. Please don't get angry that most intelligent people are tired of the way things have been run in America and are more than happy to vote for Obama.

momof2boys423

Answer by momof2boys423 at 3:01 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I read the article and watch the video and I can understand why he supports Obama. His reasons seems pretty good. If he would have done it based on race He would have endorse Obama a long time agao.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 3:06 PM on Oct. 19, 2008