Teaching the alphabet??

What is/was the best thing you found for teaching your child his or her letters? My dd just turned 4 and I'm worried she is behind... I know she knows them, but sometimes she says the wrong thing, maybe for attention (??) . Any great gadgets or tips??

mom2maddie06

Asked by mom2maddie06 at 5:42 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If you want an example of the letters we used you can go to the following link,

http://www.etsy.com/listing/54827270/letters-a-m-pdf

Also, try not to worry about her being behind. All kids move and learn at different speeds. Just know that you are doing the very best you can and encourage all types of learning in everyday things.
    sahKids

Answer by sahKids at 9:18 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I actually went to the dollar store and found a bunch of preschool teaching books and stuff. We got different games and big letters and numbers. We also got posters and it has helped her to learn more.
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 5:45 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• There is alot of great things. One of them being starfall.com I <3 it. Also any thing really, You sitting out with her with flashcards, to the toy laptops they have out.

It really all depends on your child & their likes & dislikes. With John he liked computers, & puzzles & "workbooks" so it was easy....

every child is different so you should try different things.

I make games of it. I'll start saying them & signing them & he'll follow. (hes five.)
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 5:45 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I had one of those long posters you can hang up on the wall with all the letter from A to Z. We would point to each one & say the letter...pretty simple. She eventually would not let me do it with her, she wanted to show me that she could do it all on her own. AND when she remembered them all, she got a treat.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:46 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• We just wrapped it up in everything we did - we'd look for things beginning with "the letter of the day" on walks, eat foods starting with that letter, draw pictures and write words that begin with that letter, just made it fun.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 5:48 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• My son loves the youtube videos - just type in abc songs for children. His favorite is the tiptaptop one.
    You can also go to sesamestreet.org and play some alphabet games.
    The leapfrog abc thing that goes on your fridge is great - its about 20 bucks at walmart, has all the letters and it sings the alphabet song and each letter has a song saying what letter it is and what sound it makes.
    flashcards are helpful, too.
    and just sing the abc song as much as you can. :)
    i agree that getting an abc poster might help, or the play mats that have the abcs in them. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:54 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• we use flashcards, sing the alphabet song and ds loves sesame street and blues clues. He's 2.5 and will point out letters randomly throughout the day.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 6:15 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Don't worry so she'll be fine. We went to the grocery story in the produce area I would point and Apple and the letter A;  Banana and the letter B and so forth. Picture associationis a great way to learn. It's just another way to learn.  GL

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:41 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

•  I taught preschool for 10 years and while we did work on letter recognition it was never our focus. Our mission was always that the kids went to kindergarten excited about learning. We did a letter of the week at our school. We would simply print out a large letter and use it in an art project. For instance, star stickers on the letter S. I play a letter sound game with my kids while we climb the stairs. We'll stop on each step and I'll say "What start with the letter B? B makes a b. . b.. b.. sound" Once they guess we move one. I really try to encourage them to feel like they can answer safely (correct or not), so I'll respond to a wrong answer with "Good guess! Actually car starts with C. Car (and then I'll repeat the C sound)."

sahKids

Answer by sahKids at 9:16 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I just checked out that website starfall.com it does look like it will help....
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 5:47 PM on Sep. 20, 2010