Growing Ivy from clippings

So in our woods we have wild ivy growing beautifully. It climbs up trees and everything. So I went out there with my scissors and cut a few right below a stem and leaf. Now I have it in the house in a vase. My question is do I put it in soil and or simply water? Sould I use a cup with water underneath? How do I get these clippings to root and grow?

Mrs.Faith

Asked by Mrs.Faith at 2:42 PM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Home & Garden

• I think when my Mom has started plants from clippings she put them just in water initially, and once they started growing roots moved them into dirt. Good luck! I'm sure you won't have any trouble though, ivy grows like crazy and is an easy plant to start from clippings.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 2:46 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Gently pluck off the leaves on the bottom of the ivy and keep the plucked part in water. Sometimes I add a tiny bit of miracle grow to add nutrients.

Usually ivy's are incredibly easy to root and it should not take very long. Most ivy's you can even just keep in the water and not replant them.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 2:49 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I'm a gardener by trade and I have to tell you, you couldn't have picked an easier plant to grow! I'd skip the glass of water routine! Just go out and dig up some dirt (they'll grow in anything) put it in a container, lay your ivy in with 3-4 leaf nodes (pull off the leafs) cover with dirt and keep watered. If you want them to root faster and have a willow tree, cut off a couple 1 inch twigs smash them with a hammer and put them in the dirt too. They contain a natural rooting hormone that will get your ivy growing in no time! Have fun!
    sherry729

Answer by sherry729 at 9:25 PM on Oct. 21, 2008