Why does my dish wash cloths and towels have a musty smell to them?

I wash my rags and towels regularly but they keep a musty stink to them. I even tried vinegar and bleach but they still stink! anyone know why and how to make them smell clean?

jem102675

Asked by jem102675 at 6:03 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Home & Garden

• If they sat damp for too long they will pick up that mildew smell that is hard to shake.
    Soak them in baking soda and soap, then re-wash them.
    Make sure you don't ever leave items in the washer for too long, must be dried right away.
    Also lay them flat to dry before you pile them up or put them in the landry basket.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 6:15 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• leave them in the washer in a detergent slurry over night...... they need a good soak, likely. possibly they sat damp too long.... mine have done that. beach towels and swimsuits from hotels I dont get to quick enough
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:05 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Are you washing them with hot water? You should be. Maybe you keep them in the washer too long before switching them to the dryer?
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 6:06 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Wash the dish clothes and rags by themselves. Add only hot water, soap, bleach and baking soda.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:15 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• maybe you could try Arm and Hammer detergent, I use it and mine dont have any smell or maybe it could be in your water supply and another idea does your washer have a filter on the hoses?? maybe they need to be ck'd just some ideas?? hope u get the problem solved soon
    Barb
    Hoos66

Answer by Hoos66 at 6:17 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I put my sponges in the microwave for about 30 seconds now and then and it murders that musty smell! Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 6:19 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• That happens to me at this time of year when it's been very damp out. It seems that after I use a dish towel once, it gets mildewey because it doesn't dry fast enough. So what I do is take all my dish towels and wash them together with some bleach. They come oit fresh and stay fresh too.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:38 PM on Sep. 20, 2010