How do you feel about school fund raisers?

My daughter is having her first fund raiser from her daycare
I am excited but I also know it will get old trying to get people I love to buy expensive crap they don't want for her. Lol
Tjis fund raiser is good though, it's gourmet cookie dough!! And only $13 a package that makes 86 cookies!!

gottalovemal

Asked by gottalovemal at 6:09 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in

• LOL! I hear ya. When my kids were little, I used to buy as much stuff from them as I could so that I didn't have to bug anyone. Several times, I bought all those candy bars.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:14 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I think they're a pain in the butt!!!! My son's school (in a suburban community) does a walk-a-thon, where families just simply donate money for the students to do a short walk. They make a big deal out of it and it's fun for the kids. Parents and friends and family simply "sponsor" their child by giving as much or as little as they can. All proceeds go directly to the school and friends and fam aren't pressured into buying expensive stuff they don't really want. Their goal is to raise $10,000.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 6:14 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Personally I hate them! The stuff they sell here is crap and costs a fortune. I'd rather donate my time.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 6:15 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I work for a school and I hate them and refuse to do them. They try and make all the family do it. It's like you have 3 kids and 2 nieces & 3 nephews and 12 grandkids all selling the same stuff. They just need to do a family one because it gets really expensive trying to buy from everyone
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:18 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• My son has to turn in his first one on Wed. =) He's pretty excited. I wanted to make sure we did this one because i know the next one We will not be doing.

My only problem is that they shouldn't put so much pressure on young children to sell sell sell.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 6:44 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• My skin crawls as soon as I see it... The cookie dough, the wrapping paper, the candles...I think we should go back to the old time fund raisers ( bake sales, yard sales, school dances things like that...Most of the time I just buy it because I wouldnt want to bother anyone with something I dont even what to waste my money on...
    sam223

Answer by sam223 at 6:49 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• My kids didnt really have any fund raisers when they were in school (oh my gosh are they that old already??) but my grandkids all hit Grandma up on a few things but mostly I just give them a certain amount of $$ and that is that but then I also noticed some families dont even take a packet on the reason ''we are on welfare or assitance so why should we do that '' well that isnt the point so one time I got a bit upset and in front of a group of other parents I said Well for one thing your children benefit from the sells as well as ours do perhaps if you think u are exempt from selling or helping out at any school functions perhaps your children should not be allowed to benefit!!' well that got some attention and now the school soon started not having fund raisers and just have parents buy what ever is needed for their child that got attention of a lot of ''parents''
    Hoos66

Answer by Hoos66 at 7:02 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I know that it feels really bad as a kid to be left out. I wasn't allowed to sell anything (even when I was in the girlscouts and had candy or cookies to sell). Alot of times they offer kids prizes or rewards for selling so much. And when you couldn't sell anything and other kids are getting rewarded, it hurts!!!
    Sarasmoonflower

Answer by Sarasmoonflower at 7:05 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Ugh! Used to they weren't too bad. Of course, we used to live around people we knew (friends, family, etc.). Now that we live 1,400 miles away from everyone though, we have to get it all. LOL In fact, I just took their fundraiser up to the school today. We ordered for the grandparents, aunts, uncles, and ourselves. We are getting a couple of checks in the mail from the grandparents, but we are shelling out all the money up front, and not really expecting much in return. It's a pain now that we are all alone in the middle of nowhere!
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 9:26 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Oh, and that's another thing I like about this school they are attending right now. If you have more than one child in the school, your children get to sell a combined total of X amount of items to get prize level Z, instead of Y amount for single children. And the more children you have in the school, the larger the "discount" is. And, they also allow you to donate X amount of money for however many kids (also discounted for multiple children) in lieu of selling in order to reach prize level Z.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 9:33 AM on Sep. 21, 2010