How can i get my 3 year old soon to take his medicine?

my son is on a iron supplement, it tastes nasty, any suggetions how i can get him to take it with out a huge fight and tears?? thanks

giraffegrl1980

Asked by giraffegrl1980 at 6:11 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Poor little guy. I remember taking Geritol liquid and after a while I got use to taste but I was a lot older. Only suggestion I have to make take it quick and drink water afterwards. 

Some answers were given at this website.

GL

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 12:28 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Try offering rewards like " If u take this I'll make your favorite dinner". "I'll let u watch your favorite show".
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 6:14 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• applesause, pudding, icecream, yogurt, cottage cheese, crushed in orange juice. If liquid little bits in his drinks during the day untill hes consumed his full dose. Orange juice chocolate milk and soda are good liquids. hope you find something soon.
    Anime727

Answer by Anime727 at 6:20 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I'd call your pediatrician and see what he/she suggests. Maybe there's an alternative? (We hit this snag with our son when we couldn't get him to chew a tablet that couldn't be crushed. Turns out it came in a granular form which solved the problem until we could get him to chew the tablet.)
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 6:57 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• is it liquid? if so almost every pharmacy for like a $1 will add a flavor

is it a crushable pill? if so stir it up. i personally suggest the bright red applesauce cherry flavored Elmo
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:15 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• well with babies as soon as you put it in their mouth u blow at their face hard and their natural reflex is to swallow, idk if that'll work for a 3 year old
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 6:19 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I know the nasty stuff. My son was supposed to take it. I gave him lots of meat and served him vitamin C foods along with it and found multi vitamins with iron that he would take. Not the best solution but he wasn't going to take that iron stuff and no flavoring would cover it up.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:20 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Thanks
    It is a liquid, ive tryed putting it in his chocolate milk and juice, he now right away and crys i realy dont blame him i licked the spoon after i made the chocolate milk and that little taste almost made me sick :( Oh and the rewards dont work either, i ask him what i can give him to take the medicine and he says nothing mom i am not going to take it. I have been giving him the flinstones multi vitamins and trying to get him to eat more meats and protiens but he is a very picky eater. thanks again for you suggestions!
    giraffegrl1980

Comment by giraffegrl1980 (original poster) at 6:24 PM on Sep. 20, 2010