I have $100 to feed a family of four for 10 days....................

Could I get some CHEAP menu ideas?

luvsmysonjames

Asked by luvsmysonjames at 6:17 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I agree w/michiganmom116. Take an inventory of what you have on hand. Then sit down with the ads and make a "flexible" menu. Once you've got a shopping list of what you need go shopping, but be prepared to change things on your menu at the store for items that are unexpectedly less expensive than those on your menu.

I also do things like, if I cook a chicken to be boned for a casserole, I boil it & bone it then I put the bones back in the pot, with seasonings and let it simmer to make chicken broth to use for another meal. I will use less meat in casseroles to stretch them. Normally I use a whole chicken for my chicken enchilada casserole, but I might put part of it aside for to make Broccoli Bake (a side dish made with stovetop stuffing) into a main dish.

Hashbrown casserole with leftover meat from another dish becomes a filling main dish. Don't forget breakfast is cheap, and fun to have for dinner.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:54 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Spaghetti
    Tacos
    use leftover taco stuff to make a casserole or taco pizza
    chili cheese dogs and tator tots
    use left overs to make chili cheese omelets
    roasted chicken with rice or potatoes and mixed vegies
    use leftovers to make a chicken pot pie
    tuna noodle casserole
    grilled cheese and tomato soup
    mac and cheese with polish sausages

Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 6:24 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• hamburger helper, frozen veggies...look for things on sale...
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 6:20 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• This can easily be done (I just spent $218.25 for a family of 7 for the next 4 weeks) but it'll take a little bit of work on your part. You've got to take inventory of your pantry, freezer & fridge. Can you make any meals out of what you already have on hand?
    For breakfasts: make pancakes, a huge batch. They keep great in a resealable bag in the fridge or freezer. You can also do oatmeal, just not the instant flavored kind. Buy a canister of it & add your own flavorings. Avoid cold cereal unless you already have it.
    Lunches: soups, sandwiches (stick to tuna or egg salad or PB & J)
    Dinners:
    Chicken alfredo (my recipe would make enough to feed your family twice)
    Hamburger goulash (makes the same amount as 2 boxes of Hamburger Helper & is just as easy, less garbage in your food)
    Roast a chicken, feed the family, and remove the rest of the meat from the carcass. Use it in a casserole AND make a chicken stew with dumplings
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:24 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• get an enormous ham. soups, ham and eggs, ham salad, ham sandwiches, etc etc etc

elso do a lot of breakfasts for dinners. pancakes, eggs and toast, french toast, etc.

go with things you have in the pantry..... like if you have waffle batter and syrup you only need to buy either a melon or some nice sausage and that's a terrific and filling meal for like $3. good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:25 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• YOU CAN DO IT! the thing to remember is to make a list, if you dont your sure to overspend. buy meat in bulk. and frozen veggies are cheeper than canned when you look at the amount you are getting. a 5 lbs pack of chilcken is good for 3-4 meals for my family of 7. and a bag of frozen veggies last for 3 meals easy. also make large amounts of things like spagghetti and freaze the leftovers and its an easy meal in a few days/ good luck!
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 6:38 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Tuna melts are a huge hit here. Tuna salad and a slice of cheese on a bun, wrapped in foil & heated for 20 minutes in the oven. Even my pickiest eaters love those. Serve with a vegetable, pickles, &/or chips.
    Buy 1/2 lb. ham, make scalloped potatoes & ham: potatoes, ham, sliced onion, cream of mushroom soup. Cheese if you have it.
    Bruschetta (pizza) chicken: My kids LOVE it, it's easy, only takes 2 - 3 chicken breasts, 1 can diced tomatoes, 1 box stuffing mix, 1 c. shredded mozz, & some basil. Serve with rolls & veggie
    Sloppy joes: 1 lb. ground beef, 1 pack buns, 8 oz tomato sauce, 1 c. ketchup, some seasonings. I've got a good recipe (copycat Manwich)
    That's 10 dinners. If you stick to store brand and cook from scratch, you can do this. If you need more help, send me a message.
    michiganmom116

• Soup, veggies, fruits, eggs, bread, cheese, tuna, oatmeal, beans, chili, cornbread.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:28 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• yeah you can definitely make ONE big meal to last a couple days like chili or something. Buy a big thing of chicken and make different kinds of chicken each day. You can DEFINITELY feed your family for 10 days with 100 dollars. How big is your family? Hamburger meat and make meatballs with sauce and frozen veggies one night (You can put broken pieces of spaghetti sticks in the meatballs before you cook them and call em silly meatballs lol) make spaghetti with meat sauce (from leftovers the next night) make burgers one night then hamburger helper the next then tacos the next and so on.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 6:28 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Spaghetti, chili, casseroles ... all of those you can make inexpensively and make in large batches so you can freeze half for a second meal! I tend to spend about $70 a week - so that's about $10 a day - for my family of 4 - it's a pretty decent amount. Just look to see what's in your pantry/freezer/fridge/cabinets and buy whatever you need to fill in around the ingredients you already have - you'll do just fine.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 6:30 PM on Sep. 20, 2010