"Mama stop yelling!" :(

Ever have one of those days where your toddler drives you CRAZY??? We actually had (and are having minus this one incident) a really great day together & for all her good behavior we went to the park this afternoon & played for a couple of hours. Well when we got home I had to start dinner and she likes to "help". She wouldn't stay in her "helping chair". She was running around like crazy and even though SEVERAL times I asked her please don't go by the stove, it's hot, she wouldn't listen. So then she finally stopped and did the other big no-no - she loves to take the dry dog food and put it in the water bowl. (YUK!!!) I was in the middle of cooking and couldn't run over there at that point so I was like "Honey, stop, stop STOPPPP!!!" & she jumped and said "Mama, stop yelling!" It broke my heart. I picked her up and told her I'm sorry several times. She said "That's ok, mama" and is fine but I felt HORRIBLE. Anyone ever snap?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:00 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds just like my grandson. I take care of him every other day and have to pick up the dog food when he comes in the door. He takes everything out of my drawers and right now he likes to put things in the microwave and push buttons. I don't yell, yet. I get breaks from him every other day. I had 3 sons.

If you don't like the fact that you yelled it's not a good idea to make a big deal about telling a child you are sorry when they deserved to be yelled at (she was acting crazy). They don't get what you are sorry about. Just let it go and do better next time. Don't say please don't go near the stove. Make that one a command, it's dangerous! Stay back from the stove! Hot! You are learning.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:12 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I know how you feel, my daughter is 5 and she talks non stop and stays underfoot, it is very hard to get the things done i need done, so sometime i snap because of stress, believe me its normal and you are not alone lol
    stormy01

Answer by stormy01 at 7:03 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Awww silly babies! I get to that point too. I yelled at my LO for using her crayon on the wall- I was holding her little sister. She came up and gave me a hug and kiss and said "No" as she pointed at me.
    Ameliamomo2

Answer by Ameliamomo2 at 7:06 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I snap. I don't like yelling at my kids but there are some days that I just lose it and then feel terrible about it afterwards. Kids sure can snap you back to reality though can't they?
    ajbrownies

Answer by ajbrownies at 7:19 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Let me tell you, yelling sometimes is not snapping. Your little one will not even remember this, so don't beat yourself up about it.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 8:11 PM on Sep. 20, 2010