Do you ask your kids to ask you in advance if they would like to have a friend stay for supper?

Or are you okay with it being on a whim?

QandA

Asked by QandA at 7:06 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• yes i do...but sometimes they 4get and i guess i let it slide...pick your battles...

iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 1:50 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• My kids know that they must ask in advance for a friend to stay over or eat with us. I always speak with the other kids Mom to make sure they know where their kid is and if they can stay for dinner and as well if there are any allergies that I need to know about.
    steveiguana

Answer by steveiguana at 7:12 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I am OK on a whim if I haven't started cooking. Very few of my meals aren't small army-sized, but I like knowing ahead of time if those really nice steaks I only bought 1 per person of should be had tomorrow. If we have our friends over when I start to cook, I expect them to stick around, so I'd be a hypocrite to be upset if the kids follow my lead.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 7:13 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I have to know in advance otherwise there may not be enough food. I make enough to feed 3 people, not 4. I will tell my ds when its okay to invite someone and he can decide if he wants to or not.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:13 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• my son is JUST starting to get to that age.... and I require notice. the more the better!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:14 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I will expect notice, to be sure. On days DH isn't home, dinners are light and often, vegetarian. Tonight we had Vichyssoise with homemade dinner rolls, and to be sure, I need to know how many rolls to make.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:46 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• that woulds be nice but most of the time its a spur o the moment type of deal
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 8:10 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Absolutely they have to ask....several days in advance in fact...we are extremely busy during the week and weekends are detox time for our family....I don't generally feel like entertaining other people's kids during that time.
    semazani

Answer by semazani at 10:06 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Ask way in advance. Got to make sure my house doesn't look like a hurricane went through it.
    Carol936

Answer by Carol936 at 11:55 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I usually cook as if I am feeding a small army so I would not have a problem with it, as long as the kids parents said it was ok.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 12:59 AM on Sep. 21, 2010