Would you be upset (MIL/First Haircut)?

Ok... my MIL took my middle child overnight (she's doing one at a time until they get used to being away from home, then she'll take all 3 and give me and DH a night alone)...

He's 2 1/2. He's never had a haircut. Honestly, he doesn't need one! Its still wispy and thin... we (me and DH) were waiting for DH to get a day off of work (besides Sundays) to take DS2 and DS3 to JellyBeans to get their haircuts - they do it for a penny, and you get balloons and a certificate with a lock of hair.
He came home... his hair is cut. Just enough that I would notice it. Her response? "There wasn't enough to even save, why are you making it a big deal?"

I, personally, am furious.

MunchiesMom324

Asked by MunchiesMom324 at 7:21 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would be upset too. I totally hear and understand you. But i think the reason why your mother is upset is because she thought she was doing you a favor by getting his haircut and didn't realize that it would be an issue for you. so now that you are upset she most likely feels hurt because it was done out of love for you. I think you should just say "yes I'm upset because me and my hubby wanted to make this special, but it's done now and I do appreciate you taking him for a haircut, but next time call and ask first, please"

Does that sound reasonable to you?
    MyIslandGirls

Answer by MyIslandGirls at 11:28 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• my mil did that same thing to my 1 1/2 year old....and i was pissed
    jesslovesyou08

Answer by jesslovesyou08 at 7:23 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• wow i would be so very mad, this is one of those things the parent wants to experience with their child, she was way out of line and had no right, i would have a stern convo with her before any more of my children stayed overnight.
    stormy01

Answer by stormy01 at 7:23 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Not her role, not her right, and yes she overstepped her boundaries!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:37 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I agree with you, something like that she should have left for you to do.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:23 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I agree with you and QandA.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:23 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Oh my i would have completely lost it!!!
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 7:23 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Yes, I would absolutely be upset! Livid is a better word!!!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 7:27 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I am pissed for you!! This is for sure a big deal for moms. I think your MIL was so very wrong to take on a milestone you and your husband wanted to share with your son.
    Ameliamomo2

Answer by Ameliamomo2 at 7:33 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I'd be upset. That's definitely overstepping her role. I'd have your husband (since it she is his mother) discuss this with her and the fact that she is not allowed to physically alter your child's appearance.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 7:37 PM on Sep. 20, 2010