Why is my child afraid of the potty?

My daughter will play with the potty but when we take her diaper off so she can pee pee she starts screaming and runs out of the room. Is ithis normal? Does anyone else have this problem?

cherriechixie

Asked by cherriechixie at 7:33 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Every kid is afraid at first. it will pass. How old is she?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:35 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• My DD was afraid of potty's in public restrooms cause they didn't look like ours. But I put her on and flush the toilet and say bye bye pee pee and she will relax and go potty.
    Ameliamomo2

Answer by Ameliamomo2 at 7:37 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• My mom told me I was afraid of the poty because the first time I poop I saw it and got scared!
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 7:43 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• She's not ready. Back off a bit and let her tell YOU when she is ready to use the potty.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:59 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• We had the same problem with our son. We started by first getting him to sit on the potty with his diaper on. Then each night we'd try to get him to sit on it without his diaper, if he did, great. If not, we punted and tried again the next night. No pressure. We kept on trying it once a day until he got past his fear and would typically pee. Then we started potty training and he caught on very quickly.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 8:09 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• thanks everyone i'm trying and it's kind of frustrating but we will keep at it.
    cherriechixie

Comment by cherriechixie (original poster) at 8:20 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Maybe someone scared her with the toilet? I know once I put my DD on the potty at wal mart, they have where it automatically flushes. It flushed while she was on it and scared the tar out of her. took me two weeks to get her to go on the big girl potty again!
    2proudmama

Answer by 2proudmama at 8:45 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• She's 2
    cherriechixie

Comment by cherriechixie (original poster) at 8:48 PM on Sep. 20, 2010