How do you stay sane with sibling jealousy?

Believe me, I understand that it's very, very hard on her, but my daughter is driving me and my husband nuts. She's almost 4 and her brother was born 12 days ago. She starts crying at the drop of a hat. EVERYTHING upsets her. She just started crying because daddy wouldn't let her open the curtains (setting sun is BLINDING through that window). She was never like this before. We give her lots of love an attention still (including giving her one-on-one time daily with both of us), but this is starting to drive us bonkers. She's also been having potty accidents, too, when she's been potty trained for a year. Is it just something that we have to wait out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• The novelty of a new baby will eventually wear out, be patient, you would act out too if you though you had been replaced. Involve her in things you do for the baby somehow, patience, this too shall pass.

Answer by older at 7:45 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I am having the same problem as your are, my son is 2 and i just had a baby girl who is 1 month now, my boy was the only child and only grandchild in the family.
    joanna13

Answer by joanna13 at 7:46 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• You are doing everything right. it is a tremendous adjustment for her. One thing that helped us was to tell my oldest, " we are doing.... such and such...... because you are a big boy and babies can't do this". It helped tremendously. Best wishes.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:53 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• invoplve her and narrate your day and what you/she/baby are doing. i have a 2.5 yr odl and a 3 month old, and remember, the first 6 weeks are the hardest!!!
    LaughterHugs

Answer by LaughterHugs at 8:16 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Ask her to help you with EVERYTHING you & DH do, no matter how trivial. Emphsize on how she's a big girl for doing these things that baby can't do, bc he's too small. It's not about rivalry, it's about her needing to be needed. Have her pick out clothes, help w/chores, dishes, house & yard work, everything you do.
    lilydoyle

Answer by lilydoyle at 11:08 PM on Sep. 20, 2010