Tax proposal in UK, do you think it could happen here?

The UK's tax collection agency is proposing that all employers send their employees paychecks to the government and they will deduct the appropriate taxes and then transfer the money to the employee's bank account.

This would end having to file a tax return at the end of the year.

This to me is scary....do you think it could ever happen here?

DSamuels

Asked by DSamuels at 8:25 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Here's the link to the article. I don't know how to make it clicky.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/39265847
    DSamuels

Comment by DSamuels (original poster) at 8:26 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Woah I would hope that NEVER, EVER happens here. I wouldn't trust any of that being done properly, and in a timely manner. Not to mention there is more to filing taxes than just what's on a W-2.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 8:27 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Instead of doing what the UK is proposing, why don't we just send in a signed, blank check every April, and trust that the IRS will only deduct that which is fair?!?!? NOT!!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:34 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

**********************
    And watch the check go bouncy, bouncy, bouncy!
    DSamuels

Comment by DSamuels (original poster) at 8:36 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I would not like that.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:38 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I would not want that at all. But if they did it, it would help them get the people who collect cash under the table.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 8:43 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

*********************

How? If you're being paid cash under the table you wouldn't be getting a paycheck for your employer to send to them, would you?
    DSamuels

Comment by DSamuels (original poster) at 8:45 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• With Obama nothing would surprise me.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 11:21 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• That's insane..NOWAY would I trust our government with that.Way too many mistakes made..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:49 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• It's almost happening here. I live in one county but can cross the street & be in another county. Because I live in one & work in the other starting Jan. 2011 I now have to pay $50.00 to drive on those pot-hole filled streets that cause me to need a front end alignment twice a year. My employer is to take that out of my check & send it directly to that other county., This is the bright idea of a mayor in a county that I wasn't eligible to vote for/against. Isn't that taxation without representation? The government is way too far into our business. The IRS already makes mistakes, like we need to give them more opportunity to make more of a mess of our hard earned money!!!
    Abytome

Answer by Abytome at 8:02 AM on Sep. 21, 2010