How long did you breastfeed for? Why did you stop?

I'll be going back to work with my LO is about 3 months old and I hope to be able to pump while I'm at work and nurse when I'm home. Is this what most breastfeeding moms do?

Laurelflower

Asked by Laurelflower at 9:01 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I breastfed my daughter until she was about 7 months old. I stopped for two reasons. She started getting her teeth and bit me a few times, and I found out I was a month pregnant! I was so over it at that point. Glad I did it, but glad I could decide to be done.
    HeatheranninSP

Answer by HeatheranninSP at 9:04 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Fourteen months and counting.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:05 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• 20 months and counting, but I didn't pump at work. I had trouble with getting enough milk when pumping so we supplemented with one formula bottle per four-hour shift until my son was one year old. Then he switched to whole milk. Not the most popular option but I would spend hours pumping and get only a couple ounces. Just not realistic. Good luck mama!
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 9:10 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• i did it for a few weeks, he wasn't keeping breastmilk down, whether it was fresh or warmed. i decided it was better to have him use formula his body would keep down than to have him puking up everything i made for him. it sucked, but he's healthy and happy now.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:11 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• hi laurel!! I LOVED breastfeeding and my daughter was a champ at it and we loved it. too bad her dad was mean and said it was a burden and got mad we couldnt measure the ounces and i had to feed her more often, as breastmilk digests so easily. he wa sunemployed and i had to go back to work after three months too!! I was SOO sad, I woudl have breastfed at least to a year. I began to pump and try to teach her hwo to take a bottle!! USE NUK ones like a breast! she only liked breast!! dad was angry about this too. so i really tried to offer bottle DURING breatsfeeding, and this she started to understand. i had one day where i held out and tried to not give breast but nurses said dont do that the child needs nutrition at this stage. so i just went with the flow. i pumped at work for her day bottle, supp and breastfed when i came home. my right breast dried up, and then i fed with left one only til 4 months!! We loved it fondly
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 9:11 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I was only able to breastfeed until she was 3 months old. I got the Mirena when she was 2.5 months old, and by 3 months, my milk was gone. I spent months and hundreds of dollars trying to get my milk back before I finally figured out that it was the Mirena causing it. By then it was too late, though (she was almost 9 months old and almost off her bottle by then). As soon as I got the Mirena out, I started producing milk again (I was pumping and taking herbs like fenugreek, trying to store a little for her). But I couldn't get her to latch and couldn't keep up my supply by just pumping because I was working full time.

Your plan sounds like what I've heard a lot of breastfeeding working moms say that they do. That was my plan, but it didn't work out :(
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 9:11 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• we supplemented with formula Enfamil lipil is tastiest while i was at work cause i only pumped like 3-5 oz from both or one breast. she is okay now but the type of nipple liek a boobie makes a big difference, the poor little thing was SOo good at it, then she had to learn somethign else, aww. they say just give LOTTTTS of love during weaning and be so patient, as they dont understand at first and it can be heartbreaking in a way but they will adjust just dont be too tough and the nurses said get any nutrition in them and they will learn, dont hold out on them, there will be a time when they take only a little bottle as they get used to it from breast.
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 9:14 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• 2 months unfortunately. My daughter was not breastfeeding well so the doctor had us supplement with formula once she realized it was easier to eat from a bottle she would through fits when I tried to get her on my breast even though I was using a nipple gaurd. I kick myself for not trying harder and eating healthier but I never was able to pump enough milk for her anyway.
    MelSwim7

Answer by MelSwim7 at 9:14 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I breast fed for three weeks with both of my children. I didn't stop, they did. My daughter latched on right away, but my son didn't. However, both of them decided that three weeks was enough and refused to BF after that.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:16 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• My son was about 3 months. I stopped because I was working and didn't have the money for a pump sufficient enough to keep it up. I eventually dried up. With my daughter We went 9 months. I was pumping at work but eventually got nothing for the effort but my DD seemed to be feeding fine when I fed her. gulping and swallowing and all that, not fussing after a feeding...But she wasn't growing. She was diagnosed as Failure to Thrive at that point I stopped.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:22 PM on Sep. 20, 2010