Mom's of lactose sensitive babys

My son is 10 1/2 months old, he has a dairy (lactose) sensitivity.

How did you handle the weaning to whole milk, if you chose to. My son has been on soy formula since he was 7 months, and breast feed before that, I couldn't eat any dairy because of his sensitivity.

Now it's around the time when I should be switching him to whole milk, but after three days he got some red bumps on his shoulder and wasn't able to poop. I stopped giving him the dairy to see if it cleared up, it did. He was finally able to poop today and had gotten some more red bumps on his butt, that were not there last night when I last changed him. Not sure if it's because of the milk or not, just wanting to know how other mom's with milk sensitive baby's handled this switch.

Jessie1689

Asked by Jessie1689 at 9:07 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ten months is too early to make the switch.. You keep them on till twelve months. Since he's already demonstrated sensitivity to dairy, I'd switch to soy milk.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:09 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• He needs formula through 12 months. After that Try soy milk. Lactaid is good but very pricey.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:11 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I really don't think it is a good idea to Swicth him yet- Talk to your doctor; he will tell you what kind of milk he needs- Most Ped. want them to stay on formula until 12 months- My son almost died from Intolerance to Milk- (ANY Kind!) He was in the hospital for 4 months with a Life Line to feed him- Then he was on Pregestomil Formula until he was 24 months- Wishing you lots of luck!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 9:15 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• First of all, I would continue the formula until 12-13 months. Then, I'd use rice milk or almond milk as opposed to cow milk, if any milk at all.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:17 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Almond Milk does not have enough fat in it for babies under 2.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:20 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I wouldnt do whole milk. I would wean to rice milk or almond milk. All of the vitamins and calories found in whole milk, can be found elsewhere.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:36 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Almond Milk does not have enough fat in it for babies under 2

If the child is eating a balanced diet, it is acceptable as a beverage. Water has no fat in it and plenty of people don't use cow's milk at all, and instead nurse or offer water.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:33 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I did lactaid (actually the generic version of it, just look for lactose free milk) most lactose sensitive kids can still have cheese and Pro-Biotic yogurt.
    kgsharber

Answer by kgsharber at 1:17 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Your son isn't lactose sensitive, he's dairy-protein sensitive. Have you considered relactating? That would be ideal.

Outside of that, you can try other dairy products... cheese, yogurt or kefir, and see if he does better... but that's no guarantee. You can try goats milk as well. It's really all trial and error. You CAN get him everything he needs without a milk substitute, but you need to be pretty studious about his diet (which can be hard with picky toddlers!)

For anything I'd wait until 12 months, or longer, though... 10 months is entirely too young when he has a history of issues. My first outgrew his at age 2.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:20 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My oldest son we did toddler formula till he was 2(I breastfeed till 18mo). And w/ my 2nd & 3rd child I breastfeed till at least 2 since breastmilk is whole milk. So for you I would recomend trying goat's milk at 12mo(goats milk is easier to digest than cows milk). If that does't work I would do toddler formula till 2yrs.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 9:38 AM on Sep. 21, 2010