You know what bothers me most about some moms who receive a little help from the government?

When we feel the need to justify why we are getting the help. We don't owe ANYONE an explanation, especially a bunch of strangers on cafemom. YOU know why you are receiving the assistance. That's all that matters. I say "we" because I get medicaid and foodstamps for my daughter and myself.

Fallaya

Asked by Fallaya at 9:09 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Relationships

• As you can see from the responses to this question, a few idiots ruin it for the rest of us. People seem to think that, just because there are people who abuse the system, it should be cut out all together.
    On the other hand, those of us who are on PA feel that we need to justify ourselves BECAUSE of the people who abuse it. It should not be our jobs to change the minds of the people who are against PA. We know we need it and how we use it, so we have no reason to justify ourselves to anyone. Also, if we didn't qualify, the government wouldn't give it.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 10:04 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• No, nobody needs to defend themselves to anyone. Nobody owes anyone an explination at all.
    I do know though that some people do abuse the government assistence system and it aggrivates us all. Which leads a lot of people to believe that everyone who uses assistence abuses the system. Either way, we don't have to defend ourselves to anyone. As long as it's being used properly and not abused then we have a right to use it to aid our families.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:12 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I don't agree with you anonymous!! If your gonna bash then show your s/n. I wish I could. Give u a thumbs down but it won't let me. Lucky you
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 9:25 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I get medicaid for my kids. I don't care. My kids have health care that's all I care about.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:11 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• No one should have to explain. I dont like when some women who are on PA are placed on the spot on here. It's no one's business why they are on it
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:11 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• There is no reason to explain, society just has a stigma on it that makes people feel they should. But I know how hard it is to qualify for those things and if you do get approved than you must need them. I was there before and I remember feeling almost guilty for getting assistance because of the way people look at you if they find out.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 9:13 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• The only thing I can say is, don't tell them you are on it. But, then you can't give advice, and you should be able to do that. I don't have a problem with anyone being on PA. I just have a problem with people being a drain on society, meaning they abuse the system. I know not everyone does that, so I'm not about to accuse everyone of doing that. Unfortunately, not everyone sees it that way.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 9:14 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I am very lucky to have my job, through my divorce, through loosing a house, through so many trials....I have been to the other side briefly and it is not easy. I had to go to food banks for assistance in the beginning, had to rely on others for help. If I didnt have my job I dont know where we would be. I could never judge someone else and the trials they are going through to lead them to the path of assistance. Hoping things get better for you!
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 9:21 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• What we have here is a failure to communicate properly. Some people are just going to disagree. Like the "parading around accuser."
    Some are leaning on it and not ashamed due to the absolute need to have this in their lives. Some working people just don't want to know they had a problem, and see it as a failure to being 'able bodied'. They aren't the issue or the norm. Every person is different. All people should have a job, but they don't or can't. If you can't get to a job, you shouldn't have to use it as a near death experience, at least a job you can live on, without working 70 hrs to live because it's such a low wage. So if another person has any opinion against this than that is just that ....their opinion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• my son has medicaid. i don't care if someone thinks less of me. they don't know your life so you don't have to explain it to them.
    xavierlogan09

Answer by xavierlogan09 at 9:22 PM on Sep. 20, 2010