everyones giving me a hard time

i want ti know when your sopost to take your baby off of the bottle im a frist time mom and she is 13 months and 5 days and i only give her a bottle at night but everyone is givine me a hard time talkin about she to old for a bottle so i just want to know when is the proper time to take her off?

honeyb690

Asked by honeyb690 at 9:24 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it's ok to wean at twelve months.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:26 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• About a year is a good time. Try to get her to switch to a sippy cup with milk in it.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 9:26 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• she has a cup all day i just give it to her at night
    honeyb690

Comment by honeyb690 (original poster) at 9:27 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• oh yea she been drinking out a sippy cup since she was like 10 months
    honeyb690

Comment by honeyb690 (original poster) at 9:28 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• My doc said to stop at one year old. We stopped cold turkey and it didn't bother him a bit. If he had been resistant, we probably would have been still giving a bottle at bedtime for a couple months. I don't see what the big deal is and I don't believe in traumatizing your kids just because "everyone" says they need to give up the bottle, or breast, or paci, or whatever, at "X" age. Kids are not calendars. Every kid is different and they have their own needs. The great thing about being the parent is that YOU get to make the decisions, not everyone else!
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 9:28 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• i took the bottle away at night when my boys were 15/ and 14 months
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 9:28 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Yeah, around 12 months is a good time... I would say just switch her over to a cup at night too. Get the ones with a valve in them if you're afraid of spills in the bed.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:28 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• My son is 18 months I breast feed him until he was 10 months old. When I went back to work he had to start taking a bottle. He is 18 months now and still takes a bottle just to go to bed. My mother in law is so upset that he still has it. I do not care. My little girl had her bottle until she was two. On her 2nd birthday I put all the bottles in the trash and she did not get anymore. It took about a week of crying at bedtime and then she forgot about the bottle. She is fine no long term damage. I do not see the problem with a 1 and a half year old having a bottle at bed time. Now if they are 3, 4 , or 5 I can see the problem. I would say don't worry about what everyone else thinks. It is your child do what is right for you and him. This is not an issue that will effect the rest of his life!
    cally101123

Answer by cally101123 at 9:30 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Don't listen to everyone, first of all. Second, if you want, do what Misteh said and switch it to a sippy cup. That's what we did when my daughter was a year old. As a matter of fact, she still has a sippy with milk before bed. Just make sure to brush her teeth before bed, because you don't want her teeth to rot.
    HeatheranninSP

Answer by HeatheranninSP at 9:31 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Don't listen to moms bashing you! Your doing just fine. My daughter was on the bottle longer so with my son I introduced the cup earlier however he still had a bottle at night time until he was almost 13 months
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 9:31 PM on Sep. 20, 2010