pressing charges

What happens when you press charges one someone who's a thief?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

• I'm not sure I am understanding. Did this person steal something from you? Did you witness him stealing something? You would need to consult your local law enforcement for the legality of what's involved.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:35 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• we know this person did steal from us we found out from the pawn shops and game stop.

MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 9:37 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I'd need more info to know
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:37 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• generally... file a report... cops investigate and consult DA... DA decides if there is enough evidence to go to court... court takes it from there. sorry typing 1 handed
    terpmama

Answer by terpmama at 9:42 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Well if someone you know steals something from you and you press charges what will happen is the police will come and take a statement from you about what all was stolen and why you think you know who it was. Then at that point they MAY go question the person and decide if they have enough evidence to make an arrest. Otherwise you would just have to take them to small claims court and hope you have enough proof against that person. The burden of proof lies solely on you in that situation though.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 9:45 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I had a carpet cleaner and a GPS stolen. I found out they were at a pawn shop. We identified them. The police were called. Pawn shops in Virginia have to get records of who broke the merchandise in. The person was arrested. He was found guilty and spent 6 months in jail. The merchandise was returned to us after the trial. We did not have to testify. We did go to court.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:55 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• We gave them a list of everything stolen from us and they found most of it everything else has been sold. They traced it back to who we suspected and they asked if we were gonna press charges and we said yes. The worst part about it is her mom will have to take care of her 3 yr old daughter and her mom isn't the healthiest person. Also her mom asked me to not tell her ex husband about what she did because she's afraid the baby will get taken. I personally think that the baby should be taken I think her mom knew all about this incident and is just covering her daughter. This same mom black mailed a friend of ours,even after the fact that she knew her daughter broke into his home and took and sold movies. She used her little 3 yr old to get in the window cause theirs no way in hell her butt would of fit.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 10:08 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• They called and she apologized tonight. Then her mother says I hope your kids never get into any serious trouble. I hope not too but I'm smart enough to turn my kids in if they get into trouble. And leave my kids out of the equasion.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 10:11 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• equation? lol
    MarGeee

• It means they can bearrested and taken to court.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:48 PM on Sep. 21, 2010