how to get my baby to...

accept the pacifier? I had no trouble with my first. i heard chocolate helps, it helped with my 1st child, this is my second and she's a month old. she sometimes accepts it and makes my life so much easier. When she doesnt she's a handful. (and i know the right time to give it, when she's full, burped, i dont need advice on she might not be full and all. ) thanks ladies

fefe87

Asked by fefe87 at 9:33 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son strongly preferred the nuk pacifier. We tried a few other kinds and he wasn't that interested. Might be time to go binky shopping :)
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 9:35 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• chocolate really? omg haha this isn't good
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I don't know, other than my daughters last child didn't take it until she was a few months old. Some times there are a very few who just don't want them. Just think, then you won't have to go thru the crying when you take it away from her. Good luck, nothing like a fussy baby, my 2nd baby was colicky. (sp).
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 9:37 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• try a different shape? size? turned out my dd liked the smaller size and the cheap Gerber ones...she still isnt crazy about it but it comes in handy sometimes....some babies just arent interested in them....my Mom said neither me or my sis would ever take one...have you tried sticking her thumb in her mouth? maybe she just cant find her thumb..
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 9:40 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• My oldest never took it. I tried several brands, but nothing. I often cried, wishing he would take something!! I would not give chocolate, that's not healthy, but I so understand your desire for her to take it. I'm sorry I can't offer more help, but to know--you CAN get thru this.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:42 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• mine never used a pacifier and nothing worked. you cant force it some babies just dont lie it and will find other ways to self soothe. give our child a soft fleece blanket to mouth whiel in their buncy seat, this makes mine feel relaxed al the time and fall asleep. or anothe rkind of toy or lovey mini blanket creature might work, it is especially hard for a breastfeeding baby to want a plastic or rubber pacifier, yuck to them! also a baby is intelligent and may be a hungry type of baby who feels the pacifier has no food to it so why suck it. my baby always neede an actual mini bottle feeding to relax and fall asleep liek she did at the breast. watch how we say "get my baby to" because really we have to follow a new born's lead they are just newly adjusting to this big cold dry world
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 9:59 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• chocolate along with eggs and orange juice, and straight milk, is not recommended in children under a year old due to allergic rashes that are possible. honey is not safe under one year in general. and peanut buttewr and shellfish not until three years. i just came form a six month old checkup at my pediatricians today.
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 10:01 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I don't have any advice for you, IMO some babies just don't take to them. My 1st and 4th both loved theirs! My 2nd preferred his fingers and my 3rd wouldn't take her fingers or paci (by far my fussiest baby!), and now my 5th (2 months old) will take it sometimes and spit it out at others.

Answer by missanc at 9:28 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Only one of mine took it. It was very hard to get rid of.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:36 PM on Sep. 20, 2010