How do I START potty training?

I'm a little confused about how to start potty training. My daughter is 22 months old (2 in December) and I just found out I'm pregnant with #2. So I definitely want to have my little girl completely potty trained by the time #2 comes along. I just don't know where to start....? She follows me to the bathroom a lot and takes an interest in the toilet... but what's next?

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 9:46 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My kids showed me when they where ready. They parctically did it by themselves because it was on their time and not mine. Do not listen to [people who say they need to be trained by this or that age... this will only frustrate you and your little one. You want this to be a fun time and not hell... Remember, we've never seen a kid in school with a diaper ;-) gool luck!!!
    freetobeme_ru

Answer by freetobeme_ru at 9:52 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• get her her own potty and start taking her every 20-30 minutes or so. and encourage her. when she goes in the potty act really excited and proud of her.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:51 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I tried that with my daughter because I wanted her to be potty trained by the time my son was born and she looked interested but once he came along she was back to diapers and refused the potty.

with my daughter I just kept asking if she had to go and saying things like lets go try and come on it will be fun and so on and finally when she got tired of me saying it she would be like ok and try to go and sometimes she did and sometimes not but after that one day she was potty trained.

you can give her lots to drink so she has to go potty more often but I wouldn't force it because it will set you back in the long run.
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 9:51 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• you can also let her pick out her own potty seat at the store too. That way she likes it.

Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 9:52 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I got the elmos potty time video which sparked my sons interest and a book about using the potty the also make dolls that go potty you can get them at walmart just bring it up to them and showing books and videos shows the m thta other kids do it and they'll talk about it too my son was fully trained by 2
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 11:50 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• You can take her and have her help you pick out a potty chair that goes on the floor in the bathroom and her own big girl underwear. Let her check it out at first. Maybe do some sort of reward system or chart. Start by taking her every 15-20 mins especially after eating. If she does well with that then you can stretch it out to 20-30 mins, and so on. When I was trying to potty train DS at night I used to take him before he went to bed and then again before I went to bed. I also made sure that he didn't have a lot to drink right before bedtime. Congratulations on your new baby and best of luck to you.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 7:54 AM on Sep. 21, 2010