How would you feel about....

A stay at home mom who put her child in headstart or prek? They are not required. Wouldn't that be the same as sending them to daycare? Most daycares teach young children, every one I've worked at they started in the 18 month old room. So if you think it would be wrong for a stay at home mom to send her child to day care would you feel the same about headstart or prek?

I'm not judging any one, just curious to see what others say.

Sarasmoonflower

Asked by Sarasmoonflower at 9:47 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• i dont think its wrong. it's like sending them to school
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:49 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I plan on sending my DD to preschool at 3 for 2 days a week for a couple of hours. A little socialization will be good for her and I hope to have another baby by then! AND I plan on staying home :)
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 9:49 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I don't think any of those situations are wrong. Sending your child somewhere to be educated as well as learn social skills, what could be wrong about that??
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:49 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Well I would disagree with a SAH sending their kid to daycare ALL DAY M-F. I wonder what the point of staying at home IS then.

For those who do PT daycare 2 days a week or something, I think it's totally fine. I am a SAHM this year, and have my DD in Pre school MWF for 2.5 hours a day. She is learning and having fun social interactions with kids her age. :)

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:50 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I think what other people do with their kids is none of my business
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:51 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Um I think the benefits would be great for a child to have the chance to be in an early learning environment. Why would the fact of being a stay at home mom even make a difference? So because I work full time but my Hubby stays home means I shouldnt give my child an educational advantage. I think socialization is also important. whether you work or not should have no bearing on your decision to put a child in pre-k
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 9:51 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• it just to depend on the age of the child if the child is a 1 1/2 years old then yes i would send them becouse there maybe thing the they can teach my child that i can't or they may know better way of teaching them
    march3-2011

Answer by march3-2011 at 9:51 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• my son wnt to head start and pre k it is required in ia to have prek and its nothing like daycare it is more learning imo my son had adhd and its the best thing for him.... plus most dont pay as much for school as if it were daycare
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 9:51 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Nothing wrong. I'm a SAHM and I'll be putting my daughter in preschool. She'll only go 2-3 days a week for 2 hours a day at the most
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:53 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I personally loathe head-start and unless my child had some type of special need, I'd never send them there. (as in needing speech therapy, OT, etc as they often come right to the headstart place)

I am a SAHM .... sort of. I receive disability payments because during the c-section of baby #1 I became legally blind from some medication blunders. When my daughter was a newborn I sent my son (then age 19 and 20 mos) to a daycare 3 days a week from 8am til 1 and when he came home he napped like crazy and it was just heavenly. I did this til my daughter was approx. 9 or 10 weeks old. I moved some things around temporarily so we could afford it (I think we scrapped our cable tv) and sent him to a ridiculously fancy high end place where they fed organic, cleaned organic, taught Spanish and Japanese and had a pool. It was more like a vacation for him than daycare

In general my opinion is if you're a SAHM, you should SAH!!!!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:57 PM on Sep. 20, 2010