How to sooth a sick child?

Okay I have been giving my 14 month old the correct dosage of medicine. He's fever does go away for maybe 2 hours then comes full on back. Anyone know anything I can help sooth him till it's time to give him ore medicine? He's fever is always in the 100s so it's not mild. I feel so helpless when the stuff only works for a couple of hours and then he feels miserable again. I've been keeping him hydrated but that's not helping him feel better.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 9:57 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Kids' Health

• okay give pedialyte go to store tomorrow and it will work. Run a verrry lightly warm bath not cold but lightly warm, and lay your child in it, THIS WORKS to break the fever between doses! trust me my child had BAD asthma and bronchial stuff and i am a nurses daughter. SO lay them in the bath even if they think it's strange and slosh the water over them. then wrap the in a towel when they come out after like 5 minutes. then loosely dress them, let them lay down and PUT a WET COLD washcloth on their forehead this WORKS. refresh the cold water and wrin git out as it gets body temp again from their hot head. use Childrens MOTRIN it works better than tylenol in children two and over. use triaminc brand kids stuff it is good. anyway USE the bath and towel wrap, then loose clothing like a pyjama and then cold washcloth on forehead and repeat as nec. i always found it a challenge to rry to break the fever, SLeep is also very good for
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 10:07 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• oh goodness, your taking me way back tonight. I remember those days. In between dosages make sure you have cold wash cloths to put on his forehead, cheeks and neck. Have a bowl of ice water and rotate the wash clothes. He may sleep when the fever goes up, mine did. Just sit next to him and sing to him. Put a favorite kiddie video on super low so he cant really hear it, only see it. The one good thing about the aspirin that Im remembering at this point, is that mine where ready for another dosage as the temp peaked. Hugs and hope your little mans feeling better asap
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 10:11 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• So your giving him tylenol and 2 hours later motrin, and alternating? I would say just kind of "baby" him. That's what I do when mine feel REALLY bad.
    Sarasmoonflower

Answer by Sarasmoonflower at 10:05 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• When my son had a fever, I would let him take a cool bath for as long as he wants. The bath helps bring his temp down and is really fun for him, so he wasn't as misserable. Also, he would only fall asleep in my arms, so I would wrap him in my robe after he feel asleep in my arms, them prop him up with pillows into the sitting postion in the corner of his bed. It helped with his nose too! I hope that helps because the bath was really our best bet for a less stressful time. :)
    Shasta314

Answer by Shasta314 at 10:09 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I have always done mine in two hour shifts, but that's what I've been told (since my kids were little) to do by their dr, switch every two hours (so they only get motrin every 4 hours and tylenol every 4 hours.) I agree with the bath idea. Just make sure that it is not cold water!!
    Sarasmoonflower

Answer by Sarasmoonflower at 10:11 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• At least when I had a little one and also was the Office Manager for a pediatric group in NYC... we told our moms and dads they could alternate. For instance at 12:00 give Tylenol... 2 hours later, at 2:00 give Motrin or Advil.... 2 hours later at 4:00 give Tylenol.. etc...
    Tylenol and Motrin/Advil are completely different meds.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 10:13 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I only give my children medication if their fever is over 102. Otherwise you are inhibiting their bodies natural ability to fight the germs and prolonging the illness. Cool rags, warm baths and whatever they feel like eating works wonders. Stay by them- curl up together on the couch or the bed and rest. You being with them with help tremendously.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 10:14 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• It was always a fun thing because the Dr. would prescribe popcycles when they had a fever. The warm baths really help. Lots of loving and rocking even when they get older.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:15 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• No I'll give him mortrin wait for hours and give him tyenol then start the cycle over
    mommy_of_two388

Comment by mommy_of_two388 (original poster) at 10:06 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Wait 4 hours*
    mommy_of_two388