Taking a 3 yr old and a 1 yr old to the denist. Any tips?

My 3 yr old has gone before and it was a pain and I had to hold her but didn't do much good.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 10:05 PM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Kids' Health

• As a former dental assistant I started my kids at age 2. My oldest was awesome! He went right back got in the chair opened up and had the full cleaning/exam with no problems!! My 2nd and 3rd however... were more apprehensive and had to work up to it. I had the DDS add a few minutes onto #1 appointment time so the #2 could see the room and equipment, and then maybe next time he was brave enough to sit in the chair...After a few visits he did sit and have his exam and cleaning. I did the same for #3. I also would tell them what the dentist and hygienist do, read books, watched videos about the dentist.... Now my kids love to go to the dentist! For very young children, or children that are apprehensive you may want to consider a Pediatric Dentist  they specialize in children and their offices are a bit more 'kid friendly' ..

MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:20 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• i am going to take my 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 to the dentist in about a month...and i heard that you should be talking to them about the dentist and how fun it is and take them to a kids friendly dentist...good luck
    jesslovesyou08

Answer by jesslovesyou08 at 10:08 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• PRACTICE! We take kids to the Dentist and expect them to know what to do and not to be scared, but they have no idea what is going on.

Get yourself ready to play Dentist. Get a bright lamp, gloves, mask, some pretend tools...maybe a toothpick or fork...electric toothbrush...

Then lay your baby back on a reclining chair and talk them through what you are doing and why...count their teeth, brush their teeth...praise them for a job well done....and then GIVE A PRIZE for a good job.

Let them play on you too mom!

I did this to my kids SEVERAL times before their first appointments..they thought the Dentist was an amazing prize place to go!!! They still love it!

sometimes its all in the way parents present things to a child and also how well they explain the scary things that are happening to them!!! :) :) :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:08 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I was disappointed when I took my 3 year old last summer. The hygenist did not insist on cleaning. She let her out of it too easy.
    I guess she did not care, because she got paid anyway.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:08 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I have no plans of taking my 1 year old to the dentist until pedi says it's time. He examines her teeth so there is no need right now. No advice here, just saying =)

Best thing I can say is schedule their appointments different days. I wouldn't personally bring two small children to a dentists office to have them both wait on each other's appointments. GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 10:09 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• my dentist sat ME in the chair and did a mock exam of my teeth with the instruments right in front of my 3 yr old son, then he jumped right in the chair and got it done!@ didnt cry. also we built it up and talked all about it here and there beforehand and WHY it was important to get this done. went well!!!
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 10:10 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Hibbing, that is your OPINION. My daughter is 15 months old. Dentists here will flat out NOT take her until she's 2-3 years old. The pedi has to give special clearance for her to be seen before that. It makes perfect sense. If the child is not going to sit down, primarily due to age, then what is the point of going to the dentist? Defeats the entire purpose.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 11:38 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• My pedi told me to take them when their first tooth comes in
    mommy_of_two388

Comment by mommy_of_two388 (original poster) at 10:24 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My ped said to take them to the dentist at 3 yrs for a first check up.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 11:33 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• We go 2 hours round trip to a pediatric dentist. the kids don't even know what is going on. they get sun glasses on, headphones, and a flat screen TV over their heads playing the movie of their choice. hey, it's only 2x a year so worth it to me. if your dentist, hygenist, etc isn't doing an AMAZING job, you're in trouble. their teeth will be with them for the next 70 years or whatever. it's a HUGE investment in their future. we're talking everything from self confidence, physical health, to job interviews.

PS a pediatrician looking at your kids teeth is like a vet looking at your plumbing. makes no sense. unless there was a terribly obviously abscess or enormous blackened cavity. a 1 year old should have been to the dentist about 6mos ago,
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:16 PM on Sep. 20, 2010